24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to Yuma to get cell signal and to be close to the PO wasn't an option? You probably thought about it and had your reasons.

Don't know which fitness centers your plan gets you into in Pahrump, but the Anytime Fitness next to Little Caesars is gone. Probably died of covid mandates. A fitness center colocated with a "hot and ready" pizza place.

I think my sick care plan has that fitness benefit this year, as well as added dental beyond a free annual cleaning and x-rays. I might miss the visits to Los Algodones and American Girl Mine Rd.

I have a travel trailer and of course a tow vehicle. My business stuff is setup in my travel trailer. I would have to disconnect the printer the Wi-Fi router that sends info to it and the inverter that powers my printer etc. Then make room for it all in my tow vehicle. Afterwards put it all back in place and set it up again after getting back to camp.

It is easy to think why doesn’t someone do things the easy easy way? The reality is I did do it the easy way 🙂

Fitness for $10 is the health club in Pahrump my medicare advantage plan is connected to. It has showers.

I was not assuming or guessing. I had looked it up to make sure there was a place on the list of approved health clubs in Pahrump before I wrote the post and I checked to make sure there were showers.

Last edited:
^^^Not to mention having to haul fresh water and deal with heating it up. It is hard to beat a long hot shower where all you have to do is walk in and turn it on! I often was envious of a poster here named Lenny who did mainly urban camping all over the eastern parts of the US using his regular length regular height van as a steel tent. A bed and a bucket for emergency late night use only just a very minimal set up. Basically a backpacker in a van taking advantage of public parking, transportation, and all urban day use areas have to offer.

^^^Agree but we were able to park and live several months at the school bus garage where I drove school bus and did security. We were furnished electricity and a reduced membership at a large YMCA walking distance down the street just past a Dairy Queen fast food place. It was perfect, I could get in a sauna, shower, do my morning bus run, eat, workout, swim, do my afternoon route, run errands, watch TV in the lobby til the last driver got in from extra curricular trips, lock up then walk across the parking lot and go to bed. The pay wasn’t that great but it furnished health insurance and allowed me to finish up my time for retirement. Only fuel I used was to maintain the mechanicals of the motor home.

Last edited:
Camping on private property in a town is fine and feels much different than living on the street itself.

I would have little objection to a live work situation as long as the neighborhood is relatively safe.

Son did a van at his work for 5-6 months 15+/- years ago. And his boss was happy to have him around to keep an eye on things. When he had enough money saved up and rented an apt. someone else took over the spot. I wonder when or if ever it would be a job perk? I could see this being a good construction site perk.

I have seen a few people who lived on site in a trailer at a storage yard facility. One of them even had a fenced off area where he had his dog. He did not have to stay up all night, the dog handled being the night alarm system. The railroad tracks were adjacent and it was an industrial area so not exactly a peaceful location.

Flight FU404; Des Moines to Iowa City is currently on the tarmac, 100 feet from the jetway, idling for no apparent reason. FU airlines reporting that no further information is available at this time except that Captain has reminded passengers, including those in the privileged seats in front of the ego curtain, to remain seated with their belts securely fastened and to hold their noses as the cargo compartment is full of cow manure. After all folks, we’re in Iowa……..
Captain regrets the delay. :cool:

The pay wasn’t that great but it furnished health insurance and allowed me to finish up my time for retirement.
good post. that actually sounds like it suited you very well, gave you all ya needed while you 'finished up' to hit retirement :)

Wind is coming back tomorrow evening, too bad but I will enjoy the morning and early afternoon. I went to town on errands today, I did not enjoy that too much traffic too high of prices for food. But it sure felt nice to get back to camp. I got a chore done that is easiest to do outdoors on a warm sunny day. Then I just sat in my zero gravity chair on the shady side of my trailer enjoying doing nothing but watch a bit of traffic out on the dirt roads. One small passenger car turned into all the different tracks going out on the desert land then coming back out and trying the next track, like a dog looking for a good spot to lie down to sleep. It is all pretty much the same terrain until you go over towards the mountains or go the sand dunes. Which explains why they could not decide as there was no distinctive difference wherever they went.

Tomorrow is the big annual military air show in El Centro California with the Blue Angels and other fighter jets. I am not going to attend even though I like air shows. I am still in my avoiding crowds mode. Will it be permanent or will I discover my second childhood?

She requests that people "tell the president to end commercial logging in our national forests" via whitehouse.gov/contact.

Carole King: Logging is contributing to carbon emissions 5:11

She requests that people "tell the president to end commercial logging in our national forests" via whitehouse.gov/contact ..... Carole King: Logging is contributing to carbon emissions
That will help reduce the cost of housing :ROFLMAO:

But hey, we are already putting American oil workers out of jobs so we can pay foreigners why not loggers and lumber mill workers (and the businesses they support) out of work too.

End responsible logging and say hello to frequent violent wildfires.

They aren't clear cutting national forests.

USFS marks which trees can be cut in an area. They were doing that in the Mammoth Lakes area last summer. Two workers walking along and placing little flags by selected trees.

^^^Forests have been mismanaged, oil and gas resources also have been mismanaged as well as electrical power distribution, even the railroad transportation system is being mismanaged because the government has only considered in most cases what benefits big money corporations and by doing so we the people that voted those politicians into office are allowing and creating situations that will destroy the forest as well as the environment. Vote for people who will most likely give the results you want to happen and vote out those that don’t. I’m tired of “begging” politicians to do what needs to be done.

Yeah and while it was a big deal decades ago, no one talks about Brazil chopping down the rain forest anymore. But they're still doing it. But it's not the in thing to talk about anymore.

Not cutting any trees at all. And cutting them all. Both aren't responsible.

That will help reduce the cost of housing :ROFLMAO:

But hey, we are already putting American oil workers out of jobs so we can pay foreigners why not loggers and lumber mill workers (and the businesses they support) out of work too.
Dunno about other areas, but here on the west coast, many of the logs are shipped out, mostly to China I understand. So whatever else is true, those logs are not reducing the cost of housing in the US. Besides, as with most things, including food, the cost of the raw materials is one of the most trivial contributions to the price the consumer ultimately pays.

https://qz.com/1934494/us-timber-industry-has-been-crippled-by-trade-war-and-covid-19
This picture is complicated by the fact that while the US is one of the world's largest exporters of timber and wood products, we are also one of the world's largest importers. So the balance will vary by world trade conditions. I suspect that reducing housing costs (and therefore homelessness) in the US is just about never on the minds of the folks who make these trade decisions. As with all trade decisions, it is always - and only - about profit.