24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spelling correction to the above ^^^ Hollywood is a neighborhood.

Hollyweird is the correct spelling for movie business 🤪

They fixed the too small for the part in the new reacher series on Amazon. It's worth a watch.

I have watched the Amazon version several times now. It is quite good.I am looking forward to season 2 sometime in summer 2023. “No Plan B”, the latest in the Reacher book series just got downloaded onto my phone from my library this morning.

Yesterday at this campsite sunrise came at about at 7:30, today it happened at 6:30. Apparently my cell phone is communicating with different cell towers and not basing the clock time in it on my actual GPS location but instead on the location of the cell tower it chooses to connect to. Welcome to camping near state border lands right by a time zone change.

Oh well, no more appointments in Los Algodones until Tuesday and it is not an early morning one. When I wake up that morning I will double check the time zone and use the minute timer function as the time to leave alarm instead of setting a time of day alarm reminder.

Good thing I do not typically care exactly what time it is.

Depending on a cell phone can be problematic. Especially so in areas that are devoid of cell towers such as National Forests and back roads. Smartphones become dumb phones without a nearby tower.

I have had a GPS logging app record that I had moved on foot over 20 meters in fifteen seconds from one hill to another hill, then back in the next fifteen seconds. This is not a rare occurrence, I smooth these anomalies out by eliminating the errant readings from the spreadsheet.

Currently, AZ is MST (UTC-7) and CA is PST (UTC-8).

When DST is in effect in CA, and not in AZ, then CA is PDT (UTC-7, same as MST) and matches AZ time. But then the weather is hotter, which is fine for Paris Hilton.

I have a Polar heart rate monitor wristwatch that is still set to MST, that I had last used in October 2021 when I had appointments in Los Algodones.

Got to the dentist today, unfortunately needed a root canal and a post and an all new bridge. The adjacent tooth needed a crown. Oh well the dentist seems good but just got a call they need to redo the impression they took. So back to Los Algodones tomorrow morning. Another trip next week to get the bridge and crown installed. Fortunately it is very easy for me to get to Los Algodones from my campsite.

Guess I might have to put off traveling to the Pacific NW until summer of 2025. That is because my gas money just morphed into dental work. Oh well, plan B sometimes happens and my plan B is to visit Santa Fe and Taos if the wild fire season does not shut it down this coming summer.
Do u feel comfortable sharing the cost of your procedure in Los Algadones? If not I totally understand. I also need the same work done but even with my Dental insurance I will still b out $2,500.00. Thanks

No need for me to share the cost, you can can call them and ask. Brief Initial exams for estimates are free at many dentist in Los Algodones. So you can easily get 2nd opinions. But making an appointment is best if you know it is something complex.

J P Dental in Los Algodones, Baja California. That area of Mexico is “ Baja California”.
1+(928) 487-7721

Last edited:
January is going out like a roaring lion and the first day of February is coming like a roaring lion. Cloudy and lots of wind chill plus some rain. It does feel like mid winter 🥶.

I thought my replacement bridge work would be completed today when I went in but it did not fit perfectly. Apparently the impression was not just right. So at least one more trip back to the dentist is needed for a final install. But at least the crown they made fit just right so it got installed. I am delaying my next dental appointment in Los Algodones until Friday when this storm system has passed. That means heading in at least 90 minutes earlier than my appointment as the line of cars waiting to cross the border could make me late getting into the parking lot. But that is OK, I will enjoy a lovely breakfast burrito at good, affordable, cantina near the dentist office.

One of the neighboring campers in a large 5th wheel just invited me and another neighbor over for a hot chili luncheon. That will be a nice socializing break as well as time getting to know them better.

There are two big nice dogs at my two neighbors to enjoy interacting with. I miss being around dogs but there really is not enough room for one in my space. So I enjoy camping with people who have nice, friendly, dogs.

So I thought I didn't care much for museums but I seem to be developing a taste for the eclectic small-town type. The Deming (NM) Luna Mimbres Museum, aside from supposedly having the largest collection of Mimbres pottery outside the Smithsonian (it's truly impressive), has a Braille Playboy. Yeah, that was a thing. Turns out some people really do read it for the articles!

The museum is free. If you are heading west out of El Paso, Deming is definitely worth a stop. (IMO worth a longer visit too but I gather not everyone shares that opinion.) Very easy to get on and off the interstate. Has a Walmart, an ACE, and lots of restaurants. I recommend the Mirador.

After every strong wind storm I feel, glad to be done with that as if somehow it will be the last one of the year and the rest of the year will be all pleasant sunny, 70 degree days. Silly me, the next one is already here rocking my little home.

At least it is an indicator that I have not yet completely abandoned an optimistic outlook.

Yesterday afternoon I did go to Yuma on errands as I had an Etsy order to ship out.
A friend I was camping with last month gave me a little buddy heater but did not have a base for the 1lb green propane bottles, he ran it off a bulk tank. It is only going to be used as an emergency backup heater in my life so I purchased a Stansport base at Sportsman’s Warehouse. It seems suitably stable and fits the gas bottle snugly. I do love looking at all that camping stuff but managed to restrain myself to just that one item. But I might go back and get a pair of wool socks they have on end of season sale. There were many nights this winter I wished I had some to wear in bed.

Next I went to Michael’s craft store. I made a business supply purchase of some specialty adhesive I use regularly for my production of paper craft kits; that saved me from having to order it online. But at the Michael’s Yuma store they had a special setup, a free to use “maker space” area with some big work tables and a wall full of various tools including lots of sizes of lovely, super sharp scissors. Not that is something I am going to take advantage of. Last month I marked out all the cutting lines on the vinyl headliner yardage for my trsiler ceiling. But after marking the material when I went to cut the vinyl I found that my several pairs of scissors were too dull for that vinyl. Plus I do not travel with a large table. So in a day or so when the wind abates I will head back to town to make use of that facility. Sharp scissors and a decent work table, these simple things are going to make such a difference in my project process. I will have to give that store a thank you note for that bonus space concept for their customers. Yuma does have a huge amount of RV parks for winter visitors, crafting space space is at a premium in RVs. There are electrical plug ins on the tables as well so I might even take my sewing machine and a canvas work project in to sew it up as a large surface would help with that task as well.

Last edited:
I have a peaceful camp today. My closest neighbors are out playing in their kiddie cars then when they get back from that they are heading elsewhere to watch the Super Bowl game.

Slow internet today, it often is like that on the weekend. I had planned to go into town today to fetch some water but one of my neighbors just gifted me two gallons. That will do nicely until I go to town on Tuesday when my forwarded mail is due to show up.

I think I will spend my afternoon cutting tiny little cardstock buildings and packaging them while listening to an audio book. I have enough solar power for that, partly cloudy, high in the upper 60s but there is a chance of rain tonight. Plenty of desert pavement at this campsite and I am not in a low lying spot. A night time rain will be very nice for the wildlife as it won’t evaporate too quickly in the nearby washes.

Last edited:
The frustration of travel and mail. My car tabs I ordered a couple of weeks ago we’re not among the mail my Private Mail
Box service forwarded to me. I bought them online from the state using a licensing agent just a few blocks away from my PMB. Fortunately that agency is going to reissue them at no extra charge. My friend who is my home base address and my BFF is going to pick them up in person from the agent and then mail them to me.

Right now the wind is rocking my little cradle with constant very strong gust. Another 4 hours of that to go through. I will stream a few movies to take my mind off it as well as mask the noise of the wind. A war or disaster movie would probably work best for noise but I am not in the mood for thinking of explosions tha blow things up…or over!

Last night listening to my audio book did the trick of noise cancellation. I have another 3 books already downloaded 🙂