24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today might get to 70 degrees! I plan to appreciate the warmth even though it feels cold right now just before sunrise.

There are supposed to be a few more 70 degree days this week. Perhaps I will actually get around to doing some build work. Most of my remaining task involve contact cement or water based varnish. Those chores have been on hold waiting for some sunny 70 degree days.

Last edited:
Are any of you going to the RTR.

Also asking for a friend.. recommendations for dispersed camping convenient to Phoenix? He has to take a friend to the airport and hang nearby to pick him back up a few days later. I have never camped near that city so I have no knowledge of those campsites. But it might be handy to know should I decide to pick up a solar panel from San Tan Solar prior to the Feb Plomosa Rd Van Aid.

Last edited:
Had to actually wash my solar panel off to get it clean. This time it seems that heavy dew bound the dust together and stuck the dirt onto the glass. That definitely explains why I was not getting my battery fully charged by 7:30 or 8:00 in the mornings as would be typical.

The forecast is back to being a more typical sunny southern Arizona. Unfortunately no 70 degree days are showing in the forecast. Maybe they will show up in February ☀️☀️☀️🥶🥶🥶

We were scheduled to come down tomorrow morning from northern New Mexico, but we are going to have to change until probably February. It's snowing here and has been for two days.

I was looking through a bin where I store dry goods foods and discovered a small package of biscuit mix I had forgotten I purchased last month. I do not have an oven but my large, duthch oven sized covered skillet works for baking some things.

But I was in the mood for some old fashioned comfort food, chicken with dumplings. I had some progressive chicken vegetable soup. I added a few extra spices, a bit more garlic powder, minced onion and some Italian seasoning. Then I mixed up some of the biscuit powder making it wetter than for rolling and dropped spoonfuls of it onto the top of the soup. Result quick and easy comfort food bliss with very little effort. I could have added a can of chicken for more meat but the soup on its own was enough. It did not come out as being soupy, it was the proper thick stew consistency for chicken and dumplings.

I think It will go on my list of monthly quick and easy special meals, sometimes made with veggie beef instead of chicken veggie. This one would work for small group potlucks too. Not too expensive and reasonably quick and easy.

^^^yesterday evening was cold after a sunny day. Of course it is relative because sometimes low 40s still feels pretty cold.
Downside, still wiping condensation off my windows this morning but my sinus and bronchials enjoyed that extra moisture bath. Upsides as well as downsides, situation normal 🧐

The condensation on the inside of my windows is frozen this morning. Definetly glad of having a heater to fire up this morning. Hot breakfast on todays menu!!
It is a sunny day but it won’t be warm until the afternoon.

Left Ajo and made the easy, pleasant drive to the Painted Rock Petroglyphs. It is a paid BLM campground with my senior 50% off discount it is $4 a night. I Arrived just before dusk so I will do the tourist attraction obligatory walk around the big mound of rocks in the morning. This site is 13 miles one way from Hwy 8 but it is a paved road in good condition.

Nice place, vault toilets are spotlessly cleaned. Campsites are clean and in good condition. Roofed areas with picnic tables and raised grill for BBQ. There are two dumpsters. No water here, it is a no hookups site. Generator hours are 8am to 8pm. So very quiet here!

Looks like a terrific setup for the camp host! A talked covered parking pad with electrical hookup and large bulk propane tank. Of course a BLM provided ATV in a small garage for driving to the campsites putting up spot reserved notices. There must be water and sewer for them but that was not visible as to how it was done. It is a ways to drive for groceries.

I am glad I took the detour for an overnight on the way to Yuma.

But I was in the mood for some old fashioned comfort food, chicken with dumplings. I had some progressive chicken vegetable soup. I added a few extra spices, a bit more garlic powder, minced onion and some Italian seasoning. Then I mixed up some of the biscuit powder making it wetter than for rolling and dropped spoonfuls of it onto the top of the soup. Result quick and easy comfort food bliss with very little effort. I could have added a can of chicken for more meat but the soup on its own was enough. It did not come out as being soupy, it was the proper thick stew consistency for chicken and dumplings.
and then you cooked the soup in dutch oven over burner for how long? did the dumplings come out well? i'm horrible cook but always looking for something easy
that i can make, plus i LOVE chicken&dumplings :)

and then you cooked the soup in dutch oven over burner for how long? did the dumplings come out well? i'm horrible cook but always looking for something easy
that i can make, plus i LOVE chicken&dumplings :)
Read back, I said I used Progresso soup. I did not make the soup, it was ready made out of a can.

How long it takes to cook the biscuit/dumplings depends on the size of them. I was not doing clock watching, I just checked on it now and again. The bigger they are the longer it would take. I did not use a measuring device for size, just made similar sized gathers of dough with my mixing spoon. But you do need to have a stove you can control for low heat.

After 60 years of cooking I rarely measure ingredients or set timers unless I was baking in a regular kitchen which I have not done in the last 16 years 🙃

I am glad I got to Yuma before this new storm arrived. At least ithe low temperatures will not be below freezing! But I am not looking forward to a 4 day wind storm. Fortunately my day trip into Mexico can easily wait another week.

Another reason to be glad I am in Yuma, my dental bridge I had put in about 25 years ago just broke loose. Not in pain from that. Guess I will call up and get an appointment over in Los Algodones at a dentist a friend has been satisfied with. Fortunately I am camped less than 5 miles away from the parking lot for the crossing.

Today I am going nowhere as there are strong wind gust. But the next two days are looking great for a walk across the border, sunny in the 60s for an afternoon high. Not like some late spring trips were it was way hot waiting in the customs line to return.

Got to the dentist today, unfortunately needed a root canal and a post and an all new bridge. The adjacent tooth needed a crown. Oh well the dentist seems good but just got a call they need to redo the impression they took. So back to Los Algodones tomorrow morning. Another trip next week to get the bridge and crown installed. Fortunately it is very easy for me to get to Los Algodones from my campsite.

Guess I might have to put off traveling to the Pacific NW until summer of 2025. That is because my gas money just morphed into dental work. Oh well, plan B sometimes happens and my plan B is to visit Santa Fe and Taos if the wild fire season does not shut it down this coming summer.

Got to the dentist today, unfortunately needed...
...my gas money just morphed into dental work....
I hear 'surgery', I think 'second opinion'.
Matt Damon tells about Tom Cruise wanting to do a dangerous stunt for a movie.
Claiming it was too dangerous, the stunt coordinator refused.
So Cruise fired her, and got a different stunt coordinator... and successfully accomplished the scene.

Many things are very evident without requiring a second medical opinion. This situation was one of those types.

Who is Tom Cruise and why should I care what he thinks or does???

Oh wait I know, he is the short guy who tried to play the tough guy Jack Reacher. A character in a book who is a massively built and muscled guy described by the author Lee Child as being an intimidating 6’5” former military cop. Talk about miscasting an actor for a part.

Most likely that story is fictional to puff up the actor.

If a professional stunt coordinator said the stunt was too dangerous, the liability insurance carrier would have objected.

It's Hollywood, where nothing is real.