24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Older photo but I look much the same. The last 2 years in the Southwest sun have added more sun damage with lines next to my eyes. But I have been fortunate in my early 70s to have missed out on the grey haired senior thing and only have a bit at my temples that does not show. This photo has been seen here in this forum now and again and is already out there on the internet.

I like being single and have been so for over 20 years and plan to remain that way. Could be why I do not feel old, think old, act old or look my age 🤪
Very nice photo. Since we're showing photos, here am I with my better half. I literally couldn't live without her. One of the finest, compassionate, caring, human beings God ever put on this earth. And he gave her to me and to this day I don't know why. And she's a quasi gourmet cook. Oh God, kill me with a frying pan...
1667625667026.png

Walmart: I was in a semi-local Walmart, returning something at the Return/Info counter, and ahead of me was a man carrying a couple bags of his purchases, asking about permission to park his RV for a couple of nights. The clerk gave him permission. In the parking lot, he was parked only a couple of spaces past me. Gathering info for my future travels, I walked over and asked if he has problems with permission. He said that many of the WMs had standard rules, yes or no, but some of them were more agreeable if you did your shopping there, and then asked on your way out. He said he might be wrong, but they seemed to have more positive results if they proved they were shopping there, and weren't just taking advantage.

It might vary a lot, but it's something to keep in mind.

Carla, Everyone is just joking around using the expression for humor. Read back a ways in the thread and you will see the origin of it.
Couldn't find it going back quite a few pages so I used the Search function. Only found Ben and Morgana talking about her medical boot. Guessing that is what you are referring to.

Very nice photo. Since we're showing photos, here am I with my better half. I literally couldn't live without her. One of the finest, compassionate, caring, human beings God ever put on this earth. And he gave her to me and to this day I don't know why. And she's a quasi gourmet cook. Oh God, kill me with a frying pan...
View attachment 33184
Like you said life IS not worth living without my anchor. Over 60 years and then -- anyway. It's been a little over 2 years now by myself. I know all the words-- words can not describe how empty life is now.
You both look healthy and how I envy you. Cherish every moment. Priceless!
Ken

Walmart: I was in a semi-local Walmart, returning something at the Return/Info counter, and ahead of me was a man carrying a couple bags of his purchases, asking about permission to park his RV for a couple of nights. The clerk gave him permission. In the parking lot, he was parked only a couple of spaces past me. Gathering info for my future travels, I walked over and asked if he has problems with permission. He said that many of the WMs had standard rules, yes or no, but some of them were more agreeable if you did your shopping there, and then asked on your way out. He said he might be wrong, but they seemed to have more positive results if they proved they were shopping there, and weren't just taking advantage.

It might vary a lot, but it's something to keep in mind.
Thank you for your advise and input and reply. The last piece that I thought I needed arrived yesterday and tested last night.
The rest will be information and experience passed on to me.
(such as your relay of Walmart parking for shopping by another) Thanks for taking the time.
Ken

My daughter in law wanted to move to a place with nature nearby in a small town with affordable rents. They found such a place on the coast of Washington state in a small town apartment complex with a ground floor unit and just woods and bushes out back.

Not there for 2 weeks and a black bear destroyed the back porch and back door of the adjacent unit. That neighbor was fortunately out of town but must not have taken out the garbage in the kitchen or cleaned the cat litter box or some such thing.

My son did know before signing the lease that there were bears around and that garbage had to be kept inside until trash pickup day. So that is probably why the neighbor did not take it out before he left, too inconvenient to take it elsewhere.

My son was born and raised much of the time in Alaska so the concept of bears being around was not totally scary or unfamiliar to him. But he now has multiple cans of bear spray throughout his apartment and in his car too. The concept of a bear of any type in a confined space, spray or no spray...way scary situation.

Last edited:
My daughter in law wanted to move to a place with nature nearby in a small town with affordable rents. They found such a place on the coast of Washington state in a small town apartment complex with a ground floor unit and just woods and bushes out back.

Not there for 2 weeks and a black bear destroyed the back porch and back door of the adjacent unit. That neighbor was fortunately out of town but must not have taken out the garbage in the kitchen or cleaned the cat litter box or some such thing.

My son did know before signing the lease that there were bears around and that garbage had to be kept inside until trash pickup day. So that is probably why the neighbor did not take it out before he left, too inconvenient to take it elsewhere.

My son was born and raised much of the time in Alaska so the concept of bears being around was not totally scary or unfamiliar to him. But he now has multiple cans of bear spray throughout his apartment and in his car too. The concept of a bear of any type in a confined space, spray or no spray...way scary situation.

Was the home owner Goldilocks? I heard they had this thing going...

^^^ sorry but you just flunked out of storybook 101 class.

Goldilocks was the home invader, the bears were the homeowner victims in the story. She made a real mess of the place, breaking furniture, getting into their food, crawling into their beds too. A very creepy juvenile crime! No doubt that story was a very bad influence on young people.

Was it revenge? Nah those bears would not engage in that kind of behavior. They were a nice family.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I never expected it to have a point. I thought it was just one more incomprehensible thing the grownups said. \_(••)_/

The nomadic lifestyle has many variations of relationships in it and “just friends” enjoying each other’s company is very common.

Of course you did not understand it as a kid, it was written by a grownup.

Last edited:
Yes, most children's stories are.

(This one was actually adapted from an oral tradition -- the original, much darker version of which might have been an ode to pointlessness.) (Imagine that, they had pointlessness in the olden days, too.)

Thinkin' again:
I'm thinking again right now, I'll probably think some more tomorrow. BUT here is the point which I will have to explain.
My pickup, which I will use to tow my home on wheels needs to patching up, Michigan uses salt on the roads in winter which wreaks havoc on fenders and such.
So, before I take off, I need to patch up some of the more awful places. Since It's and old pickup, I am not going to replace anything, just patch it up. To that end, I went to the hardware store today and bought a roll of roof flashing (Al-U-minium).
My plan is to pop rivet it in place and then later do some bondo when I hit some warmer climes.
Anyway - I was thinking about yesterdays thinking and decided that what I thought in the past day must be what I thunk about.
The point of of this is that I find myself forgetting thing more than I have in the past.
Extra trips to town where I get one thing and find when I get home that didn't get the other thing I went for, Or end up in a store that I know I stopped there for something but can't remember what it was. Like today, I got motor oil and on second thought, bough anti freeze also only to find that I'd got that last week. so now I have 10 quarts of motor oil and 4 gallons of antifreeze which I don't need. In the process, I forgot to eat anything so far today..
What I'd like to ask? Is this normal? Do other older guys like me forget stuff or only remember one thing at a time? Is there a pill for that?
Ken

Sure we do. Make lists and update. I don't know where you're shopping but WM has a pretty liberal return policy. You could return a couple of gallons of anti-freeze maybe?

Maybe before you head out, if you have not had a physical this year you could schedule one of those free annual senior wellness checks that are provided for Medicare recipients. It is just a quick checkup with some basic bloodwork, listen to heart lungs, check reflexes, do a quickcheck for any suspicious moles. The senior wellness check also includes a short term memory test. That will give you the opportunity to find out for sure if your short term memory is OK relative to your age.

Your primary physician is the only doctor who can do the free senior wellness exam offered under Medicare benefits. I found that out when I asked an out of state clinic if they would do that exam for me. So do it while you are nearby to your primary doctor.

The doctor at that time can update any prescriptions you need which is a great benefit for longer road trips.

Last edited: