24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Honda dealership does not sell hot red pepper coated tape to put on wires. But I have something similar I ordered from Amazon already waiting for me at the Flagstaff hub counter. I will pick it up tomorrow when I go into town to ship out some Etsy orders. The guys at the dealership reminded me to wear gloves when handling it and keep my hands away from my face, not to get it on my clothes either. They said they hate having to work on cars that have the pepper stuff on the wires as it makes for a frustrating and risky job.
Could you do a DIY version by mixing Cayenne pepper with rubber cement and then coating whatever it is you were trying to keep the rodents away from? Or maybe some of the more concentrated capsaicin powder seasonings?

Mothballs that come in mesh bags. I found them at Walmart.
I would put the bag into a quart canning jar while I was driving the vehicle.

Could you do a DIY version by mixing Cayenne pepper with rubber cement and then coating whatever it is you were trying to keep the rodents away from? Or maybe some of the more concentrated capsaicin powder seasonings?
Use some Dave's Insanity Sauce or Yucateca (available at WM) Mayan Recipe Hot Sauce - That'll fix those little furry menaces...

I'm constantly battling those suckers at the change of seasons...

:mad:

I already trapped the rat that chewed the wire, it's dead and is no longer an issue. Repellents are a hit and miss solution, it may or may not stop a rodent. A well baited sticky or spring trap is much more effective "final" solution.

Got lucky today. I went to the Grand opening day of a new Goodwill store in Flagstaff. On my list of things I had been looking for this last month was a cheap tent to set up to keep people from crowding too close to me plus create a bit of extra storage when needed for chairs and such. A tent that if someone came along they would not be tempted to run off with it.

I did find a tent for $19.00 that appeared to be in good condition with intact poles and rainfly. But it did not turn out to be a "cheap tent". What it was was a brand new tent in perfect condition with the ground cloth that sold separately also in the bag. All the stakes it came with were there as well. This tent retails on REI for $450.00 and is a super lightweight 2 person backpacking tent that gets high reviews.

Now I will have to decide if I want to hang onto it or sell it for a substantial profit. It would of course be good for an emergency shelter should such a need ever arise as it does not take up a lot of room or weigh much. Well no hurry on deciding but I will still have to keep shopping for a cheap tent for my intended use of a campsite space holder.

That is my second time in 2 years to find an incredible steal of a deal at Goodwill on camping gear. The first find was $7.99 for an artic expedition, down sleeping bag that sold for $700 at REI. It was only lightly used in excellent condition. It has kept me very warm and comfy the last 2 winters and will likely do so for many more.

Good deals, Maki2 - so exciting you found a great tent and sleeping bag there. Now I want to go shopping at Goodwill....... of course there isn't one here and I haven't been out of the forest in months.

The Yeti Fire is about 4 miles from here but the firefighters are competently keeping it from spreading past China Point - so far, so good. We've got an evacuation warning notice but don't have to leave - it is just a warning that there might be an evacuation. I packed things and put a few big boxes into the van. No reason to panic. There will be a community meeting tonight. I'll watch the livestream on Facebook.

Congratulations Ben on partial retirement........

I decided to keep the bargain tent at least for now.

I did put my shade cloth up today as there was no rain and only gentle wind, it was very nice to have a dry sunny day. There is more rain in the forecast ahead this coming week but July is the wettest month of the monsoon season so hopefully the storms will begin to lessen in frquency now but still bring enough rain to help prevent wild fires from spreading.

I am pretty much caught up on errand running now and want to get back to work finishing my build. If the mornings stay dry that will be a big help in getting back at it.

This tent retails on REI for $450.00 and is a super lightweight 2 person backpacking tent that gets high reviews. <snip>

Now I will have to decide if I want to hang onto it or sell it for a substantial profit. <snip>

That is my second time in 2 years to find an incredible steal of a deal at Goodwill on camping gear. The first find was $7.99 for an artic expedition, down sleeping bag that sold for $700 at REI.
Amazing bargains:D I'm jealous.

Good news! Our evacuation warning is lifted and even the people in Seiad Valley can return home as their mandatory evacuation notice was downgraded to a warning. We had a great team on the fire this year. They worked hard to surround it ... on 3 sides with the river, and on the southern side with dozer lines.

I hope that will be the only nearby fire this year, but you never know. The one that took my home in 2020 was on September 8.. and the Camp Fire in Paradise was even later in the year. Anyhow, it is nice to be able to relax again without concerns about packing or leaving. I know, story of your life - packing, leaving. Etc.

Of course, I have other challenges now. Don't get me started on the topic of trash.

Looking at the 7 day forecast this looks to be a very wet week ahead with only the mornings before 11am having much in the way of clear skies. I guess I need to shift gears and go to bed very early so I can wake up before dawn and be ready to start chores and work around 6am. But at least it will not be scorching hot August weather and very low risk of wildfires which is certainly a substantial upside to being camped where there is a monsoon rain season.

Hopefully I will spend much of next summer and early fall in the Pacific Northwest mostly around the Olympic Peninsula. I am looking forward to going back there, some very beautiful places to visit!

It is so nice to wake up early to clear sky, fresh air, and good weather. I get my outdoor chores done early while I still have energy and stamina, and spend most of the rest of the day indoors.

Well, they decided last night on my replacement for township duties. I’ll be paid for a while just to be available to get this guy up to speed... non to soon I might add. I power washed my big mower before bringing it in to be serviced. By the time I got to town with it (25 miles) my right hand was locked up tight and the pain was extreme. I will see dr tomorrow. Until then managing best I can.
Oh... and that’s great Lynda on the evacuation orders being lifted. Prayers for no more fire problems and smoke in your area.

Is that the last hurdle to retirement NctryBen?

Is that the last hurdle to retirement NctryBen?
Basically yep... I guess Monday he’ll start and by September I’ll be done done... 🤞🏼
Getting ready to go see doctor now... hand is still quite painful but it isn’t locked up tight at this point.
My new to me camper is shaping up. Going to get my solar transferred this week yet. I don’t sleep in the house at all anymore. Haha

@NctryBen - You rode a lawnmower 25 miles? Hope you're feeling better already.
Haha... no no no, I trailered it and brought it in to be serviced. But first washed it up.

Thought of you today TA... there was a bookmobile that I think would be your perfect van life home. I picture also when someone is loud you’d be peeking out with your finger over your mouth going, shhhhh!

I have to figure out how to get my surgery done. They will stretch it into the winter. I can’t even get a consultation with surgeon here til after my planned date to leave on my trip west. Mexico? Haha

I have to figure out how to get my surgery done. They will stretch it into the winter. I can’t even get a consultation with surgeon here til after my planned date to leave on my trip west. Mexico? Haha
This may be totally irrelevant to your case, Ben -- if so, ignore -- but, is physical therapy an alternative at all for you? I know that surgeons won't always mention it (that modern multidisciplinary teamwork in action, NOT), but it can be very effective.

I've twice had surgery recommended, happened to run across a different medical staffer who suggested PT, tried it, and had it work wonders.

I don't know how it would affect your leave date (for example, could you do exercises on your own and schedule check-ins with different PTs down the road) -- or even if it's an option for your condition -- but if you haven't looked into it yet, it might be worth a check. Other things being equal, not cutting beats cutting.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ben...sounds like the old "I got bad news for you" followed by the not quite so bad of news, "you need surgery, not a cure but it will help". Boy howdy have I been through that scenario more than a few times.

You will get through it like a trooper..eventually recovering use.. but none the less a real drag to go through and time out of having fun with your new trailer getting it ready for the road. Not to worry though you have your own Van Aid crew ready to pitch in with help in AZ this winter. I owe you some hours for your help on mine this last winter.

The good news... as I’m waking up I think the cortisone is working. So I just have to behave and I’ll muddle though this with more tolerable pain. I’m going to move forward here with the idea I might possibly get surgery before to long. Just have to skip grandkids football. But maybe see some basketball.
But this has got me thinking... if Nevada is a good domicile state and I moved mine there. How’s the medical facilities like in Las Vegas. And what insurance supplement works good there? Now my wheels are spinning trying to figure out the whole medical for senior maze when you don’t plan to be home much anymore if at all really. I’m the guy that didn’t need doctors much til my hair got to falling out... haha! (Til I got older here however that happened).