24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have loved the Little House books since childhood, read them more than a few times.

And I enjoy watching the reruns of The Andy Griffith Show and Leave It To Beaver.

I want Happy Ever After! If anybody here finds Mayberry, PM me!

Oh lord, one of the retro broadcast channels here is advertising Happy Days by showing Fonzie water skiing. The only old one I watch is Paladin. A man of culture who always tries to find a rational solution ... first and if at all possible. A knight without honor in a savage land.

I think theres always been somewhat of a nostalgia for earlier/simpler times. Reading Waldon, by Thoreau he mentions similar things in the 1840s, as well as accumulating more "things" than one can realistically use in their lifetime.

Little House wasnt my thing, but I loved Gunsmoke and most of the other westerns in the mid-late 60s. I guess Ive always been more of an adventurist than farmer type person. I read tons of books about the Apache and Plains Indian Wars period, mountain men, anything to do with frontier and adventure was high on my list of interests, to the point I left the midwest, moved to Az, nomadded off and on several years off my motorcycle and truck, lived in a tipi a while, then upgraded to log cabins in the northern rockies. I even got running water after a while!

Ive recently found quite a few of the old TV shows online in various places. I havent had a tv in ages, but recently in sitting around in the midwest doing family estate and elderly parent stuff, Ive found some older western movies Id never seen before, Randolph Scott, Audie Murphy and others, as well as came to appreciate many of the old black and white Perry Mason episodes, and discovered Peter Gunn. All help to decompress and feel distanced from the pace and sensory overload that the modern world tends to heap on us.

Its interesting that we now can get hundreds of channels on TV, but some of the best programs are 40 or 50 or more years old.

If you are in range for broadcast TV, and you do get some sort of device (even a possible USB plugin), there are a number of retro broadcast channels anymore that have lots of the old westerns and laff shows.

If interested you can plug in your zipcode here and check the local Antenna TV channels. The GRIT channel has tons of John Wayne, Audie Murphy, and Clint Eastwood (spaghetti) movies. Last night I watched Wonder Boys on LAFF.
https://tvschedule.zap2it.com/
https://www.grittv.com/

I posted a new video today on my Booktube channel... in case anyone wants to know what I've been reading this month. Believe it or not there are hundreds of people on YouTube creating videos about books, similar to this one.

[video=youtube]

I will listen to books and other media primarily for the voice of the narrator. I typically do this when going to bed with documentaries and other "learnin' subjects in the hopes that I am getting something out of it.

You have such a nice calm voice...I could definitely listen to you narrate stories. Exactly what I could use to unwind and float on down the waters.

Do you narrate stories? Have you considered it?

late lunch break, too hot for comfort at the moment as it is mid afternoon. But I have to push on through it and then will look forward to taking a shower later.

Solar rack is coming along, not done but progress made. Progress on that was interrupted by something also important.
I had put my bike and my recumbent trike on craigslist yesterday. Sold both of them this afternoon. A much appreciated cash infusion. I have some other things up for sale, on potential buyer coming in the morning for a piece of equipment. Wish I could spend it all on travel but I need a crown on a tooth so in one hand and out to the another. But it is rather ironic to sell a micro CNC milling machine and then go and spend that money on a crown fabricated on a micro CNC milling machine...hmmm no one said dentistry in the USA is cheap but it can't wait until I get to Mexico this winter.

Qxxx said:
If you are in range for broadcast TV, and you do get some sort of device (even a possible USB plugin), there are a number of retro broadcast channels anymore that have lots of the old westerns and laff shows.

If interested you can plug in your zipcode here and check the local Antenna TV channels. The GRIT channel has tons of John Wayne, Audie Murphy, and Clint Eastwood (spaghetti) movies. Last night I watched Wonder Boys on LAFF.
https://tvschedule.zap2it.com/
https://www.grittv.com/

A friend gave me a modern TV antennae, one of the channels it gets is Grit, which I like. Moms cable has it also. 

When I shut off the cable at dads old house, I didnt have a source for my Peter Gunn fix, so found it online.

Regarding relaxing, the radio station I listen to most online has BBC World Service Radio on late at night til morning, then in the afternoon and evening for an hr each. If theres other things on when I turn in, I tune directly to BBC. I turn it on low, the sound of british voices seems relaxing for some reason. It seems to help me unplug from too much going on and not being able to sleep. I usually turn it so I can only hear about half of what theyre saying.

Description: link to youtube music.

[img=100x100]https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/uploads/users/images/2015377490line0915.jpg[/img]QUOTE

Inner Peace, positively on with no worries
"Don't worry? Well", you say, "that is all fine, but how do you really do that? I am dragged from side to side by all these worries that weigh me down."

Think of it like you are swimming in a river, with all these fish. Which fish to eat, the contentment fish or the worry fish? Your consciousness is like that, a riverbed with 'thought fish' swimming through it. Your inner peace demands that you only grab on to the positive 'thought fish', and let the negative 'thought fish' swim away from you. Inner peace is a little bit of a watchdog of your mental awareness, and wants to be full of the good thoughts that are streaming to you all the time. Lets face it, you only have two hands, so you must release anything negative you have in your hands in order to grab onto the good 'thought fish' that are swimming to you all the time.

OK, is everyone still listening to that song? Jump in, the water's fine. Here comes a good fish, flavorful food! Then there is the sunshine fish, along with the gentle rain fish. (crofter is grabbing up the good thought fish). Here is the bill is paid fish, followed by clean clothes fish! The water feels good on the skin, doesn't it? Here comes healthy fish, grab it, followed by vitamins fish. Here is birdsong fish, nature fish, and good sounds fish! This goes on and on. Here is rosebud fish, followed by cactus flower fish. When you count them one by one, we have almost too many blessings to be counted.
I hope you enjoyed swimming in this thought stream for a bit, positively on.
~crofter

There is also CHARGE if you like a steady diet of Walker the Karate Ranger, and ION if you want 24 hours a day of NCI Los Angeles or that other cop show I forget the name of (never watched it).

We get BBC World News here at night too, which I listen to quite a lot, a good addendum to NPR radio which does tend to be a little on the PC side. Most of the time I watch broadcast PBS TV and mostly like the Brit shows. They also have world news telecasts, BBC (based in the US, foo), plus Japan and Deutschland. Good stuff.

crofter!!! You haven't melted. It's only 100F here today.

More Marley ... by requiest.

desert_sailing said:
Do you narrate stories? Have you considered it?

If I thought there's money in it - I'd be all-in. Where can I apply? I'll go look.

I really should narrate my own novel - River Girl. It needs an audiobook.

I don't really know much of anything about anything, but as a point of information, River Girl usually denotes a girl who is a raft or paddle guide. Whereas something like Girl of the River Lost would have a very different connotation, with apologies to the Girl of the Limber Lost. (you can hit me now, it's ok, everyone does it).

My river girl lived in the 1920's ... she was just a young girl living next to the river.

river-girl-linda-jo-martin.jpg

It is Monday so I'll get back to my normal . . . doing next to nothing. I still have some sections of the backyard to mow but am not sure that will get done. I might go into town to see if there's anything at the post office for me.

I'm almost done reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk and then I'll start Light on the Devils: Coming of Age on the Klamath - a memoir of someone who lived in this area before I did - I never met her. She moved to Idaho a long time ago.

light-on-the-devils.jpg

Attachments

• river-girl-linda-jo-martin.jpg
    river-girl-linda-jo-martin.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
  • light-on-the-devils.jpg
    light-on-the-devils.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
Ah, mea culpa (as usual). I thought you were "writing" a book called River Girl, given your situation, :). What are the Devils? A mountain range?

Qxxx said:
What are the Devils? A mountain range?

My River Girl was published in 2012.

The Devils are three mountains near Seiad Valley, California - near where I live. I believe they were named that way because of Bigfoot sightings there. Of course they didn't have the word "Bigfoot" in their language at the time, so Sasquatches were thought of as "Wild Men" or sometimes "Devils."

I like history and historical fiction, as opposed to pure fiction, although mostly read tech anymore. I remember one of my good reads from years past was A World Lit Only by Fire. I have The Templars, The Sacketts, and Thinking in Pictures up on the read pile.

We're up near 100F for 2 days, then back into the low 90s. I see Happy Camp will be around 100-106 for the next week or so. Summer is here. We have a bit of elevation on you.

Temperature topped out at 98 today. I just went out to water the tomatoes as they are already in the shade. Now inside next to the air conditioner. I will survive. I have no desire to go anywhere but my van is demanding an oil change so as soon as I get those new masks I ordered I'll make an appointment to go to Yreka for that. Now back to my reading chair.

My workshop mate Don got more work done on mounting the solar panel onto my trailer. He started fabricating the cross bars the other day. The forward towards the tongue edge of the panel has 4 stainless steel hinges on it so that the 150 watt Renogy solar panel can be tilted to an optimal angle. Hinges are riveted in place with 3/16 stainless pull rivet.  We will have to get to the tilting brackets later, there is not enough time before I hit the road. He will do the design in 3D CAD and help with some of the fabrication work. I can install them myself.  Tomorrow's chore is install some hold down brackets and a lock on the rear cross bar. There are blocks under the ends of the cross bars as my roof is not flat. The cross bar is through bolted with 3/8 stainless screws going thru backer plates on the interior. Very secure for highway travel.
View attachment 26509View attachment 26509
Did some more prep for the electrical work today but this evening I am going to work cutting the pieces for the popup top inside wood trim frame (it secures the top to the trailer) as the garage area stays at 72 degrees inside, even on hot days, as long as the big garage door stays shut.

I got one of the CNC micro milling machines sold this morning! Money to help finish the build :)