2022 Prius

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the Prius a couple years ago, I really wanted one. But the price made me cringe a bit. At the time our financial situation made me hesitant. Plus at my age I dreaded climbing in to sleep lol. For my travel trips, honestly the Prius would of been a good choice. The climate control was a big draw for me. Instead we reevaluated our situation and what kind of travel we enjoy and went with used vehicles.

If the Prius had been a smidgen bigger I would of gone back for it.

MrsBackRoads said:
I looked at the Prius a couple years ago,  I really wanted one. But the price made me cringe a bit....
I know, almost as much as a van, with a tenth of the usable space. Be happy with 20 mpg van and not climate controlled.
-crofter

With a little more ground clearance (Prius Off Road) and a 1500 watt inverter for a young single person able to sleep comfortably and traveling it would be great! I had a 1986 Honda Civic Hatchback 4 speed manual transmission, carbureted, no AC that was 44 mpg city and 55 mpg highway that could cruise at 85 mph loaded, wish they had kept making them. Sold for $6,000 new, put over 100,000 miles on it with no problems.

I could see a conversion removing the rear seat & passenger seat to make room for the refrigerator up front and a couple utility / storage spaces in the back.

You would need a roof rack for the spare tire & jack etc then all that space back there could be inside use also. I have always thought that spare tires should be stored outside anyway.

Caution: this setup would only work for someone who can do yoga. I can remember a couple times in the pickup setup getting stuck trying to move around in there.
-crofter

Anything you do to the outside of a Prius decreases fuel mileage. Even the hub caps are specially designed to increase MPG!

I wonder how much the roof rack would ding the mpg's? Would a back porch for the spare tire be more aerodynamic?
-crofter

My 2012 has a decent amount of storage above the spare tire, under the hatch floor.  It does not handle well if there is too much weight in the back (such as a bag or two of mulch).  Storage volume does not seem to be as much of an issue as weight.

That's interesting. I use a 2007 Prius for errands and have never noticed an impact on handling when it is loaded down. Different model year though.
-crofter

How's that 2007 holding up? I've been doing some research on the 2nd generation to use for local delivery. I like what I'm finding out. I know I could replace the battery myself or even replace just the bad cells, which of course is a temporary fix. There's a lot of good info on YouTube. I'm watching a mechanic replacing the inverter on a 3rd generation '10 as I type. None of it is rocket science

MotorVation said:
How's that 2007 holding up? I've been doing some research on the 2nd generation to use for local delivery. I like what I'm finding out. I know I could replace the battery myself or even replace just the bad cells, which of course is a temporary fix. There's a lot of good info on YouTube. I'm watching a mechanic replacing the inverter on a 3rd generation '10 as I type. None of it is rocket science
It gets regular maintenance, but otherwise no need for a mechanic.  Pretty low clearance on the front.
-crofter

I've been doing Uber Eats with my '96 Rav4. Great little reliable vehicle but the Prius blows it out of the water with mpg. I can't make a Prius work for me right now but I'll most likely be replacing the Rav4 with a Prius when the time comes. I had to go back to work or I'll go broke when I head back to Quartzsite in the van. Retired? Ha ha, says my wallet. :cool: 

Thanks

You would need a roof rack for the spare tire & jack etc then all that space back there could be inside use also. I have always thought that spare tires should be stored outside anyway.

I wonder how much the roof rack would ding the mpg's? Would a back porch for the spare tire be more aerodynamic?
Roof rack kills the MPG.
Storage solution I've seen was outside storage bin on rear hitch. Rised up a bit to avoid tail dragging.

I read a lot about Prius' on this forum, I totally get the reasons for having one for Nomads, but what happens when the batteries go since many are bought used? I hear they're insanely expensive to replace?

Cheers!

thank you all, i am learning lots from this post and others on the topic of the prius. i recently bought a 2006 prius. i was introduced to the prius 'way back when' while living with my daughter/husband and helping to raise my granddaughter. at the time, they owned 2 of them (2000 and 2010). i drove them all over the place with my granddaughter in tow and they were both easy to handle, got spectacular gas mileage, and all the other things you've mentioned. the one thing that was difficult was that my legs would fall asleep while driving and i constantly had to readjust my sitting position in the seat. also, sitting in the back seat as a passenger was extremely uncomfortable (i am tall and have a bit of arthritis in my back). so, with my latest prius purchase i have gotten a neck pillow (because of the donut hole) and i use that to sit on. voila! it relieves the pressure from the seat on the tailbone and it works like a dream. no more leg issues while driving! i have not yet slept in the car so that arrangement will be interesting to figure out. i, too, have been considering whether to get a roof rack or a back porch.
ps: oh, forgot to say that their 2000 prius is still running and has never had to have the hybrid battery replaced. the 2010 was recently sold in order to upgrade to a suv. it, too, was in excellent condition and never had to have the hybrid battery replaced.

I just purchased a 2022 Prius LE AWD-e 3 weeks ago. The mpg is crazy good. The average mpg on info panel claimed 58 mpg, so I had to put gas in it to see how close this reading actually is, and I was actually getting 60 mpg. I stumbled on this Prius when I used build and quote on Toyota website and a local dealer called me and said they had exactly what I was looking for in transit. I did have to pay MSRP for the first time in my life, but wanted the car.

I just purchased a 2022 Prius LE AWD-e 3 weeks ago. The mpg is crazy good. The average mpg on info panel claimed 58 mpg, so I had to put gas in it to see how close this reading actually is, and I was actually getting 60 mpg. I stumbled on this Prius when I used build and quote on Toyota website and a local dealer called me and said they had exactly what I was looking for in transit. I did have to pay MSRP for the first time in my life, but wanted the car.
How in previous times did you avoid having to pay sticker price, by negotiating with the dealer? Do you have any pro tips for haggling/bartering/negotiating with the dealer on the advertised sticker price/MSRP (if its a brand new vehicle with zero miles?)

How in previous times did you avoid having to pay sticker price, by negotiating with the dealer? Do you have any pro tips for haggling/bartering/negotiating with the dealer on the advertised sticker price/MSRP (if its a brand new vehicle with zero miles?)
In previous years, where supply and demand were completely different, dealers will negotiate if a vehicle has been on their lot for awhile. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 that I bought new in 2020 for $10,000 under MSRP. That was almost 25% off sticker. They also had a lot of rebates and incentives that brought the price down on other new vans I bought. That was certainly a different time. When I bought my Prius, the dealer only had 3 new vehicles on the lot, a Tundra, a Highlander, and a Supra. They had many pre owned vehicles. I looked at a pre owned Prius, but they wanted more for a used 2020-2021 than I paid for new.

Last edited: