2021 Pirate Camp.....Oregon Edition

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we're on the way to OREGON......Arriving June 1....We plan to camp First along Hwy 140 between Medford and Klamath Falls.....Lake-of-the-Woods area.........We like the 4 Mile Quarry site (we hope the winter has been WET.....the quarry swimming hole was Dry last year)

IF You Need Help building your rig ......I will be there to HELP !..............just ASK

The Journey getting to Oregon is another story...........

Had a Flat tire on the I-40 near Kingman......Bent rim, road service, two new tires.....now need to replace the rim on "spare"

Killed my first small Rattlesnake at the door of the van.....camping in Pahrump........

Right NOW we're hunkered down at a Nevada Roadside Rest Stop.....waiting for the High Winds...Rain and SNOW the next couple days.......It was 34* this AM..........We left Ravella up at 7300 feet to weather the storm.......She's got the "Dirty Dicks Saloon" hoodie

NDOT was very accommodating........"I'm not gonna roust anybody with bad weather in the forecast"

See Ya Down the Road

Hiya Camilla..........Tina/Ravella just sent pictures of snow at 7300'........'Ghost Town' of BELMONT NV

Hi Abnorm! Sounds like you're weathering a few of the storms of life ;) You know was totally wrong about where you were, LOL! I thought you were already between K-falls and Medford, all this time ;) Teach me to read better, I hope. Should be hot anywhere inland Oregon but not too high in the mountains. So you "will be camping" near the Green Springs road we used to travel (grandparents took us when we were kids)

Hope you have smooth sailing coming up in your travels!!

Good for you Doug, always helping. Stay safe.

Did you hear the story about the rattlesnake at Dirty Dicks?

Highdesertranger

Rough situation having to replace tires and rims. Glad you got it sorted out. A bit noisy at reststops but tney usually have cell service for entertainment. Best wishes for safe travels to your Oregon camping spots.

highdesertranger said:
Good for you Doug, always helping. Stay safe.

Did you hear the story about the rattlesnake at Dirty Dicks?

Highdesertranger

I haven’t heard it either but am waiting with open ears.

It's not much of story.

Someone spotted a rattlesnake in the wood pile my buddy I got it out and killed it. We were Dirty Dick bar hero's for a day. The owner was very grateful because he said often times his wife or young child would get wood for the stove out of the pile. The pile was neatly stacked firewood on the porch. Didn't have to buy anymore beer that day.

See I told you it wasn't much of a story. I guess i could have said it was a 10 footer or it ate a small dog or something.

Sorry Doug didn't mean to derail your thread.

Highdesertranger

If they were at Miller's Rest Area, it is fairly quiet. Free dump and water, on U-95/US-6 14 miles west of Tonopah.

The highway is close to level and there is no slowing down and/or speeding up going on.

Which is what makes Amargosa Valley Rest Area very unrestful, as the trucks slow to 55mph, some slow further to turn towards Death Valley Junction, then they all have to speed back up to 70.

Never been to Millers Rest................we were up HWY #376 at Belmont..............Site of Dirty Dicks Saloon

Thanks Maki......Two matching tires.......I'll find a junkyard rim

RATTLE SNAKE the movie !............Free Beer

KLAMATH FALLS
Holey Moley............I just checked lumber prices.......Wowser ! We'll need a Plan B ........."Abnormal Materials and their Usage"

We have arrived at "The Quarry"...........there's enough water to splash in..........

Day-use of nearby Lake of the Woods is $7 a vehicle....CLOWN CAR TIME ! Gorgeous swimming spot w/trash dumpsters and rest rooms

Come on down.....................

Makes me glad I got most of the lumber for my cabinet doors and trim a couple of years ago and grabbed more pieces last summer.

Four Mile is one of my favorite places having camped right on the beach either side of the camp spot on the peninsula. Beautiful place but it is heavily used by the locals.

Wood has gotten stupid expensive. A person I am helping with solar said that the last piece of 3/4 inch ply she bought was $75. I'm glad that I don't use a lot of wood doing solar.

Hey Jim.......Unfortunately the pond is a mere puddle of it's former self....but it's wet....There's a noisey FROG here needing attention !

(MIDNITE: The MUSIC just cranked up from across the lake....now the frog is off-key)

Solid lumber has jumped also.........32 square feet of 3/4" pine is over a $100...........Cheap 2x3" pine studs are almost $6 !

""I Make Sawdust ""....I need to channel my younger/poorer/dumber "dumpster diver" self................

Dry weather and early fire season in Southern Oregon. 103 F in Medford yesterday, hottest day so far. Don't count on being able to have a camp fire in the area, be extremely cautious if you do.

Just got the weather report for my fave camp areas in Oregon, and yep, best people heed the rules this Summer.  We can only hope.  There's more that can be done but won't go into it here.

I know where Belmont is, been there, did that. I wasn't there to go into a saloon.

abnorm said:
Hey Jim.......Unfortunately the pond is a mere puddle of it's former self....but it's wet....There's a noisey FROG here needing attention !

(MIDNITE:  The MUSIC just cranked up from across the lake....now the frog is off-key)

Solid lumber has jumped also.........32 square feet of 3/4" pine is over a $100...........Cheap 2x3" pine studs are almost $6 !

""I Make Sawdust ""....I need to channel my younger/poorer/dumber "dumpster diver" self................

Doug, PM me, I'm in Klamath Falls.

4 mile quarry is nasty now...  Annie Creek Snow Park is much better!