2019 WRTR Camper rentals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2go

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here. I am not on the road yet, but strongly considering it and researching everything I can.  I am interested in going to the 2019 WRTR but I live in Oregon.  So I would have to fly into Phoenix probably the closest airport, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any camper rentals there that I could take and do a practice run at the WRTR? I will do some online research, but thought someone might have some knowledge of a place that I could rent maybe a class C or truck and trailer for the RTR.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  

Diane :)  :D

I've known more than a few people to rent a cargo van or U-Haul truck and throw a sleeping bad, a buckrt and a camp stove in it. Much cheaper than renting an RV.

There is a website where people who own an RV list their RVs for rent. This is similar to a BNB type of website where homeowners rent out their place for short term stays except you get to drive their 2nd home around. You go to the website, register, search on the dates and the location. See if there is anything interesting. If so then you can reserve it for that time period. Ourdoorsy is a real deal, it has been around for a while, my son used to list his airstream on it. He has even written articles for their website.

https://www.outdoorsy.com

Craigslist usually has many ads for RV rentals... you need to be careful though, there are always scam artists out there. If the deal looks too good to be true, it usually is a scam. I would also consider renting a minivan or station wagon if you may already have a good sleeping bag and air mattress... even buying a small camping stove and other camping items might still be cheaper with a car rental than an RV rental.

Curbed dot com has an article that might be helpful:[font=RudeSlab, Georgia, serif] “Camper vans for rent: 11 companies that let you try van life on for size.”[/font]

also, try outdoorsy.com
it's like airbnb but for vehicles

good luck and see you in the dirt! (assuming you stay after the WRTR for normal RTR, lol)

maki2 said:
There is a website where people who own an RV list their RVs for rent. This is similar to a BNB type of website where homeowners rent out their place for short term stays except you get to drive their 2nd home around. You go to the website, register, search on the dates and the location. See if there is anything interesting. If so then you can reserve it for that time period.  Ourdoorsy is a real deal, it has been around for a while, my son used to list his airstream on it. He has even written articles for their website.

https://www.outdoorsy.com

Thanks so much this was very helpful!!

cyndi said:
I've known more than a few people to rent a cargo van or U-Haul truck and throw a sleeping bad, a buckrt and a camp stove in it. Much cheaper than renting an RV.

Thanks I've thought about it.

Sepudo said:
also, try outdoorsy.com

good luck and see you in the dirt! (assuming you stay after the WRTR for normal RTR, lol)

very helpful I found a few! Thanks

kay bee said:
Curbed dot com has an article that might be helpful:[font=RudeSlab, Georgia, serif] “Camper vans for rent: 11 companies that let you try van life on for size.”[/font]

thanks I'll check it out.

Sepudo said:
also, try outdoorsy.com

Thanks don't know if I'll make it 2019 but if not will shoot for 2020!