2017-2018 Chevy Express/GMC Safari

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remie

Reaction score
I know Bob recommends the 5.3L V8 engine in the earlier Chevy Express.

What is the verdict on the 2017-2018 Chevy Express 6.0L V8 Vortec Engine as far as reliability? 
If money is not a factor, what is the top recommended van for reliability?

The 6.0L, 5.3L and 4.8L GM engines are all the same design. They just have different displacements. These engines are highly regarded. It's just that the 5.3L gets slightly better mileage than the 6.0L, which is probably why Bob recommends it.

So it seems that the 6.0L engine has a flex fuel variant. Would that be any advantage ? I understand there is a kit that can be installed, and then you basically can run your engine on gasoline or alcohol ?

Is that conversion worth it ?

Remie said:
So it seems that the 6.0L engine has a flex fuel variant.  Would that be any advantage ?  I understand there is a kit that can be installed, and then you basically can run your engine on gasoline or alcohol ?

Is that conversion worth it ?

Do you have easy access to alcohol? And how does the price compare?

No access to alcohol.
Further research shows me this is not necessarily a better option than gasoline - in terms of MPG, and life of the engine.

first comment in almost 5 years. Lol.

I believe GM only out the 5.3 in their 1500 vans with awd, for the non awd 1500 vans they put the 4.3 v6 in them.

Strange how the 5.3 was never put in a 2500 or 3500.

2500 and up are technically commercial vehicles. As such they aren't subject to the same mpg requirements as a personal vehicle. Non commercial vehicles all contribute to the overall targets set by the EPA.

That's why you see restrictions on certain motors in certain vehicles. And why sometimes you'll get what are called compliance vehicles. Something that they sell solely to offset the gas hogs in the lineup. Think Ford fiesta, Chevy spark, etc. Trucks and large SUVs are the money makers.

That's most likely why the 6.0 wasn't offered in the 1500. Plus, the 5.3 has plenty of power for moving a half ton van fully loaded. So no need for the 6.0 in them.

I know Bob recommends the 5.3L V8 engine in the earlier Chevy Express.

What is the verdict on the 2017-2018 Chevy Express 6.0L V8 Vortec Engine as far as reliability?
If money is not a factor, what is the top recommended van for reliability?
I believe the 2003-2007 vans used the Gen III motors for the vortec 4.8, 5.3 and the 6.0

and someone correc me if i am wrong, but the 2010 and newer GM vans use the Gen IV motors....