• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2002 Freightliner MT35 5.9 Liter I6 Diesel Retired FedEx Step Van - $11,987 (Denver)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd that it still carries the Fed-Ex corporate logo after that dealer purchased the vehicle from Fed-Ex. Is that normal?

Other than it having lots of miles on it, that Cummins powerplant is a great running engine as long as the routine maint. on it was carried out.
Not sure how FedEx does their fleet maint., but if there's a breakdown it causes lots of headaches for them, so they must be on that.
$12k is pricey, but what isn't nowadays???

Since where we live it is very remote we see a lot of FedEx vehicles and several times a year their vehicles break down unlike UPS. They apparently use ungoverned vehicles because they are usually the fastest moving vehicle on the roads out here also unlike UPS. I imagine their drivers are somehow encouraged to abuse the vehicle in order to finish their extremely long routes ahead of time as they are always in a hurry.

Odd that it still carries the Fed-Ex corporate logo after that dealer purchased the vehicle from Fed-Ex. Is that normal?
I had the same question when I first saw the ad. A neighbor recently bought a somewhat scruffy looking high top white van. Not sure if it’s a Promaster or Transit, it’s that style though. On one of the side panels the ghost of a big FedEx logo can be seen in the right light. I assume they removed the wrap or whatever it was that dressed the van as a FedEx vehicle, before selling it. I wonder if the contractor that owned this step van was supposed to remove the FedEx logos before selling it. I think the ad said the dealer bought it from a contractor to FedEx and not directly from FedEx.

Yay, step vans! Too bad it has the silly roll up back door. But yes, the prices for these things has skyrocketed!

That's a Fedex Ground van.... I thought those were independents who contracted with Fedex, and if that's true, would the vehicle have actually been maintained by Fedex?

That's a Fedex Ground van.... I thought those were independents who contracted with Fedex, and if that's true, would the vehicle have actually been maintained by Fedex?
I don't think it was.

The ad includes this: "We purchased the vehicle from a FedEx vendor who took it out of service several years ago. The truck sat empty and had not run since some time in 2016. The speedometer doesn’t work but the last reported mileage on the Carfax was just over 340,000 in 2016. There are no serious accidents or damage ever reported to the Carfax and only two previous owners. When we purchased the vehicle we had it towed to a reputable repair shop where they revived it. We spent $6,000 (invoice available) on all new brakes, brake lines, brake booster, new battery, and a new speed sensor. The vehicle will need some work to suspension but it starts right up as well as runs and drives great."

That mileage is just over 24,000/year, which doesn't sound too bad. I wonder why it was parked.

A word regarding fedex vans and true millage: if the odometer is digital odds are the shown millage is fake, there was an investigation on the subject, look it up on youtube.

Since where we live it is very remote we see a lot of FedEx vehicles and several times a year their vehicles break down unlike UPS. They apparently use ungoverned vehicles because they are usually the fastest moving vehicle on the roads out here also unlike UPS. I imagine their drivers are somehow encouraged to abuse the vehicle in order to finish their extremely long routes ahead of time as they are always in a hurry.
Funny you say that... I know a driver for UPS that works his tail off, and goes back to get another load... and boy does he mak a boat load of $$

FedEx vendor means it was owned by someone who probably owned a few of them and contracted with FedEx. It had 2 previous owners so it's easy to guess they may have been owner/operators and sold out or a small fleet owner upgraded. At any rate a vendor owned vehicle is not a company owned vehicle.