1st day of full time van life!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cheap Curt rack from Amazon with the extension piece installed. It installed easily on the factory roof rails and cross bars. I have a 100w panel in it. That is ALL you will fit on the roof. The higher output panels are smaller than the basket, placing them in the bottom. There isn't as much real estate up there as you might think. You might get a "few solar panels" up there.......if they are 50w.

The only reason I have one there is I'm not tall enough to reach the rack to effectively use it for storage. I do not at all care about stealth. Folks have said that the panel in the basket is "stealthy", if you intend on parking like that.
I'm not too worried about stealth but I don't even think a solar panel will compromise our position too much. Your average person doesn't even know about stealth van camping lol but yeah thanks for the tips. I'm going to do some research and see what I can fit up there. I did see a 170w panel that may fit but have to do some measuring.

Another idea stream I'd mention here is a technique a lot of RV'ers use when camping and traveling.

The 2-2-2 System. A lot of retired seniors use it as they aren't in any hurry,
and may not have traveled much in their working lives. This lets them wade into short travels three times a week and learn to better plan their travels. Also with fuel prices as they are this could make travel more affordable.

It goes like this.

You've just broke camp and are getting ready to go to the next destinations on your itinerary. It's about 8 am. You have some places you want to see, visit, shop at, etc that you've found in the trip planning sites that seem interesting so you will do these things in the next 6 hours while driving a total of around 2 hours. (but this can vary) The Tripomatic site in the edjautoservices website is excellent for helping plan the next leg of your journey and it suggest all kinds of interesting side trips along the way.

If your timing is good you will arrive where you want to camp early enough to get a good spot with the amenities you want. (usually by 2pm ) So you can check in and get your camping permit for the next 2 days. Your arrival is the first of the two days. This will also give you your pick of many good campsites.

Now that you are in camp at a State or Federal Park you'll stay there the rest that day and the next day so you have time for hiking, boating, fishing, or whatever for the day. The next day you'll be considering the next leg of your itinerary and what you'll do where you'll go for when you hit the road the next morning. This will all depend on what is offered at the Park or facility.

Thus start to travel for 2 hours, check in by 2 pm and stay 2 days.....repeat. Thus 2-2-2

If you are in the south or west where places are further apart you can add days and hours of driving. (staying on Lowe's or Walmart parking lots where permitted or sleeping some in roadside rest stops)

This is an easy going way to wade into learning to travel and plan out your journey while you travel. You will have time in camp to set up your awnings and relax and enjoy yourself.
That's great! I am a very organized person and love schedules and routine so this will work perfect for me when traveling. I've been staying at a couple different campsites but haven't ventured out too much into the Sierra National Forest. Did a few hikes but there's so much to see and explore here! I work online and the great thing is there is internet service at most of the dispersed camp sites that I've been at so far which is great. This weekend going to be doing some adventuring. So much to see with Sierra National Forest being 6 million acres!

Hoping the best for ya in your travels... if traveling is your plan. Hope your free from such unfortunate circumstances now. It’s gotta feel pretty good to wake up to Sierras.
Thank you! It has been an amazing experience. I think it was all meant to happen. I'm so much happier now and the thought of living back in the city doesn't sound appealing at all. The more I get used to this lifestyle the more I don't want to go back.

I travel and camp (with two cats) in my Grand Caravan as well. It's very cozy and feels safe like a cocoon. :)

Safe travels!
Thank you! It is very comfortable. Just the right amount of space. I spend most of my time outside anyway. I'm happy to be able to sit up on my bed with plenty of headroom. I love that van! Lol enjoy your adventure as well with your 2 friends!

Through some unfortunate events I was forced to leave my home and live in van. I had been anticipating this for a few weeks and completely converted my Dodge Caravan into a home. First day and it's starting to get dark. It's a little lonely but I'm just glad to have a place. I'm camping in the Sierra National Forest pretty much a good distance from everyone else. Looking forward to what this life brings. I'm ready for a new adventure.
Hey kiddo. There you are. A little planning (looking ahead) . Here is a heads up for ya.
You are going to be alone (lots). Time will pass slowly (very slowly).
Get outside. If your legs work ok, poke around where you find yourself. Look closely at everything. Bugs, bark, plants, grass, take pictures if you can. Not for sending off, for you to examine later, check out clouds, the sound of the breeze blowing.
Take a chair outside to sit in. be seen, if some one waves - wave back. Or, wave at some one, heck they may wave back, stop, and say something, like how ya doin'? At any rate time will pass more quickly, Then don't forget meals, and planning your next move.
Like I'm doing right now. Gas is getting crazy high so I'm not going far cause 15 miles will cost me $5 or $6 or more. (your mileage may vary) .
Anyway, this is going to be an adventure, no end in sight. Sleep soundly and greet the new day when you awake.
Getting used to smaller 4 walls and slowing down will take a long time, 6 months to even a year or more.
When and if I see you, I'll wave, I may say "hi" or even "how you doin?" You may answer or not, In any case it may be "fine" or "not so fine". Sharing a "not so fine" can start a nice hour or longer. Then look forward to the next wave and not so fine response.
A cup of coffee or hot dog tastes better when shared with a not so fine day.
Sleep well
Anyway, between cooking meals and keeping clean

Hey kiddo. There you are. A little planning (looking ahead) . Here is a heads up for ya.
You are going to be alone (lots). Time will pass slowly (very slowly).
Get outside. If your legs work ok, poke around where you find yourself. Look closely at everything. Bugs, bark, plants, grass, take pictures if you can. Not for sending off, for you to examine later, check out clouds, the sound of the breeze blowing.
Take a chair outside to sit in. be seen, if some one waves - wave back. Or, wave at some one, heck they may wave back, stop, and say something, like how ya doin'? At any rate time will pass more quickly, Then don't forget meals, and planning your next move.
Like I'm doing right now. Gas is getting crazy high so I'm not going far cause 15 miles will cost me $5 or $6 or more. (your mileage may vary) .
Anyway, this is going to be an adventure, no end in sight. Sleep soundly and greet the new day when you awake.
Getting used to smaller 4 walls and slowing down will take a long time, 6 months to even a year or more.
When and if I see you, I'll wave, I may say "hi" or even "how you doin?" You may answer or not, In any case it may be "fine" or "not so fine". Sharing a "not so fine" can start a nice hour or longer. Then look forward to the next wave and not so fine response.
A cup of coffee or hot dog tastes better when shared with a not so fine day.
Sleep well
Anyway, between cooking meals and keeping clean
Thank you so much for your kind words of wisdom and encouragement. I'm really enjoying slowing down and just taking in life one frame at a time. I feel like I'm living life the way it was meant to be lived. Spending time at the lake fishing, hiking and just being outside. So far the Bass has been biting! Thank you again and have a great rest of your week.

Through some unfortunate events I was forced to leave my home and live in van. I had been anticipating this for a few weeks and completely converted my Dodge Caravan into a home. First day and it's starting to get dark. It's a little lonely but I'm just glad to have a place. I'm camping in the Sierra National Forest pretty much a good distance from everyone else. Looking forward to what this life brings. I'm ready for a new adventure.

Don't be afraid to go into the city!!!

many online posters glorify and promote the boondocking aspect of vanlife so well that the urban aspect is far to ignored!

I van-lived for over a year and mostly stayed in the boondocks. I now work in the city and live there and I do notice at my local mart store the usuals that come in late at night and sleep. They typically are there 3-4 days a week. I'm sure they rotate locations but are in close area.

When I first tried van life before going full-time I spent the entire day at a local park, not a small park but those BIG city parks that are usually the biggest one in the metro area, those destination parks. Typically some 30-60 achers at least. I loved going there during the weekdays nobody was hardly there! I got to enjoy the space and then I could explore the city (had it not been pandemic times) and visit public spaces and enjoy city life! Then pull into a overnight parking spot in a Walmart, truck stop, or rest area. Even local city streets if your much more stealth.

It's harder to find urban van-life content online but they do highlight the many many positive aspects to staying in the city.

I mention this because you mentioned you were a bit lonely. It does require a bit more driving but after a few days in the SAME city you can start to get your comfortability with knowing the places you are safe to stay and the rules you need to follow to enjoy life.

Thank you so much for your kind words of wisdom and encouragement. I'm really enjoying slowing down and just taking in life one frame at a time. I feel like I'm living life the way it was meant to be lived. Spending time at the lake fishing, hiking and just being outside. So far the Bass has been biting! Thank you again and have a great rest of your week.
Didn't get far!
Ok, I had good intentions. Sleeping was fitful but was able to sleep some.
Breakfast did not go well. Some time after I stopped for the night, my fridge stopped working. I poked around to see why not and found that I did not bring the needed tools.
Back home again and have found the problem and ordered the part needed from Amazon.
Anyway, Being away from familiar surroundings was harder than I thought. Although I discovered that I can handle it ok.
Should be ready again some time Friday afternoon or evening.
One person stopped for a moment to ask where I was headed. I told them I didn't know, but that I'd know when I got there.
So just killing time for a day or two, then off again. It's raining. Cooking is a pain in the butt. I have discovered that I can burn things real easy and charcoal does not taste good.
I may have to find someone with that skill or I'll starve. I think that some one of the female persuasion might be helpful. I'll learn I hope. Right now hotdogs and bologna are a life saver and bread and peanut butter fill the empty spot.

Don't be afraid to go into the city!!!

many online posters glorify and promote the boondocking aspect of vanlife so well that the urban aspect is far to ignored!

I van-lived for over a year and mostly stayed in the boondocks. I now work in the city and live there and I do notice at my local mart store the usuals that come in late at night and sleep. They typically are there 3-4 days a week. I'm sure they rotate locations but are in close area.

When I first tried van life before going full-time I spent the entire day at a local park, not a small park but those BIG city parks that are usually the biggest one in the metro area, those destination parks. Typically some 30-60 achers at least. I loved going there during the weekdays nobody was hardly there! I got to enjoy the space and then I could explore the city (had it not been pandemic times) and visit public spaces and enjoy city life! Then pull into a overnight parking spot in a Walmart, truck stop, or rest area. Even local city streets if your much more stealth.

It's harder to find urban van-life content online but they do highlight the many many positive aspects to staying in the city.

I mention this because you mentioned you were a bit lonely. It does require a bit more driving but after a few days in the SAME city you can start to get your comfortability with knowing the places you are safe to stay and the rules you need to follow to enjoy life.
That is a great point about not being able to find much content on urban van dwelling. I do plan on spending alot of time in the city, however the reason I am at 7000 elevation is due to it being in the high 90s and moving into the 100s by next week in the city I am from. I can possibly move to a cooler city such as San Diego but for now this is where I am. I'm basically a snowbird and plan on heading down the mountain in the winter. The loneliness is starting to wear off somewhat. The human species sure is able to adapt pretty quickly aren't we? Lol Thank you for reaching out and the great advice on Urban van dwelling you laid out there.

Didn't get far!
Ok, I had good intentions. Sleeping was fitful but was able to sleep some.
Breakfast did not go well. Some time after I stopped for the night, my fridge stopped working. I poked around to see why not and found that I did not bring the needed tools.
Back home again and have found the problem and ordered the part needed from Amazon.
Anyway, Being away from familiar surroundings was harder than I thought. Although I discovered that I can handle it ok.
Should be ready again some time Friday afternoon or evening.
One person stopped for a moment to ask where I was headed. I told them I didn't know, but that I'd know when I got there.
So just killing time for a day or two, then off again. It's raining. Cooking is a pain in the butt. I have discovered that I can burn things real easy and charcoal does not taste good.
I may have to find someone with that skill or I'll starve. I think that some one of the female persuasion might be helpful. I'll learn I hope. Right now hotdogs and bologna are a life saver and bread and peanut butter fill the empty spot.
I am sorry to hear about your refrigerator. Right now all I am using is an ice chest and it's a pain to have to keep getting ice but it's working so far. Looking into getting one of those electric coolers to power with solar.

I know what you mean about cooking! Im not the best either but i get by. I use a 2 burner propane stove and my trusty cast iron skillet and a pot for meals. Chicken and rice seems to hit the spot!

Hey we don't need to know where we are headed but that we are headed to where we will go. I am reading a great book that seemed to go hand in hand with life on the road. Only about an hour, in but I highly recommend it if you haven't read it before. John Steinback's "Travels with Charley in search of America". It's basically John Steinback traveling the country in his truck and camper with his dog Charley and it is delightful!

For fast cooked food on the road I carried a Wok and learned to cook some simple Chinese dishes. (a few thin pieces of meat will be all the protein you would need...the Chinese cooking sees the meat more as a seasoning) I have the Wok, the ring it sits on (which nest inside the Wok when not in use) and the domed Lid that nest in that. It is healthy stuff for the most part.

Another pace to check out as you travel are Hospital Cafeterias. Some are just too expensive but if you check the price you'll often find some that are quite reasonable.

I am sorry to hear about your refrigerator. Right now all I am using is an ice chest and it's a pain to have to keep getting ice but it's working so far. Looking into getting one of those electric coolers to power with solar.

I know what you mean about cooking! Im not the best either but i get by. I use a 2 burner propane stove and my trusty cast iron skillet and a pot for meals. Chicken and rice seems to hit the spot!

Hey we don't need to know where we are headed but that we are headed to where we will go. I am reading a great book that seemed to go hand in hand with life on the road. Only about an hour, in but I highly recommend it if you haven't read it before. John Steinback's "Travels with Charley in search of America". It's basically John Steinback traveling the country in his truck and camper with his dog Charley and it is delightful!
Thanks for your reply/comments.
My part did not show up today but I did get a update from Amazon saying it would arrive on the 11th or 12th.
More. I did remove the old board and was able to bypass the board enough to check out the rest of the system both electric and gas. Both worked. Brought the fridge and freezer down to normal temp but just to test out the basic fridge parts.
I do have an Alpicool 12volt/110 volt that rides on the back seat of my pickup powered from a lighter plug when traveling, worked good now for 3 years. Used it in my semi when I was still going coast to coast. I'm thinking that a 100 watt solar panel paired with a deep cycle battery would get me by in a pinch. For me it was a good buy. better than ice.
To make meals more doable, Walmart has frozen meals pretty cheap. 2 or 3 dollars each but need the freezer so I can buy ahead for a week or more, then of course eggs and frozen sausage for breakfast and just sandwiches for lunch.
I just checked my weight again, holding 132 lbs. up from 119 lbs. Still too skinny but trying to remember to eat every day.
The price of gas has me bothered. Don't look like it's going to get better any time soon.
Stopped by the senior center today. Still the same, Old ladies knitting with heads down, I guess I'm an old man so maybe I'll have just sit there and knit too, Don't know how to knit. No one seems to want to visit. It rained again today.
The trailer has a 3 burner propane stove, Shower and toilet, double bed. I get lost in it at night so end up sleeping on the couch. End up on the floor a lot so I have some extra pillow on the floor so I don't break something when I fall off.
At least I have some fixin' to do when My part gets here.
There ya go. Still alive sorta.

For fast cooked food on the road I carried a Wok and learned to cook some simple Chinese dishes. (a few thin pieces of meat will be all the protein you would need...the Chinese cooking sees the meat more as a seasoning) I have the Wok, the ring it sits on (which nest inside the Wok when not in use) and the domed Lid that nest in that. It is healthy stuff for the most part.

Another pace to check out as you travel are Hospital Cafeterias. Some are just too expensive but if you check the price you'll often find some that are quite reasonable.
Hospitals - I'm glad I thought of that, but parking might be a bit iffy. Have to clean up to go in a place like that. Good thought though.

Hey that's a great tip. I love food cooked on a Wok. My brother who lives in Hawaii uses one all the time. I love the idea of just throwing everything together in one bowl and frying up something nice. Nothing beats some good Chicken Pad Thai! 😉

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply/comments.
My part did not show up today but I did get a update from Amazon saying it would arrive on the 11th or 12th.
More. I did remove the old board and was able to bypass the board enough to check out the rest of the system both electric and gas. Both worked. Brought the fridge and freezer down to normal temp but just to test out the basic fridge parts.
I do have an Alpicool 12volt/110 volt that rides on the back seat of my pickup powered from a lighter plug when traveling, worked good now for 3 years. Used it in my semi when I was still going coast to coast. I'm thinking that a 100 watt solar panel paired with a deep cycle battery would get me by in a pinch. For me it was a good buy. better than ice.
To make meals more doable, Walmart has frozen meals pretty cheap. 2 or 3 dollars each but need the freezer so I can buy ahead for a week or more, then of course eggs and frozen sausage for breakfast and just sandwiches for lunch.
I just checked my weight again, holding 132 lbs. up from 119 lbs. Still too skinny but trying to remember to eat every day.
The price of gas has me bothered. Don't look like it's going to get better any time soon.
Stopped by the senior center today. Still the same, Old ladies knitting with heads down, I guess I'm an old man so maybe I'll have just sit there and knit too, Don't know how to knit. No one seems to want to visit. It rained again today.
The trailer has a 3 burner propane stove, Shower and toilet, double bed. I get lost in it at night so end up sleeping on the couch. End up on the floor a lot so I have some extra pillow on the floor so I don't break something when I fall off.
At least I have some fixin' to do when My part gets here.
There ya go. Still alive sorta.
Hey we are surviving aren't we! Glad to hear your part will be arriving this weekend. I hear you on gas. I'm in California and the cheapest I can find is 5.99...I'm thinking of eventually moving to Nevada or Arizona.

I just ordered another 100w panel from Renogy giving me 200w...I think that will be sufficient for what I need. I'm pretty minimalist at this point which I enjoy. Can you send some of that rain here to California? They are talking about one of the worst droughts since 1895 coming.

Just hoping there aren't any fires that start up here in the Sierra forcing me to leave or possibly be stuck in a very dangerous situation. I keep an eye on fire alerts which will go off on my phone if any fires start up in the area.

wb8vyn

One of the things I try to do when on the road is to keep myself clean and suitably dressed. A shower & shave every other day or at least by the third day. If for any reason I were to be pulled over by a LEO, I won't appear to be a vagrant. These little details are important.

If I'm on the road and eat at a Hospital Cafeteria I usually shed my camp/traveling clothes and slip into a short sleeved jump suit, wear a pair of slip on moccasins, and a baseball cap.
I carry a battery powered electric razor and bottle of pre-shave in the rig as a backup. My hair is cut fairly short too so I don't look shabby to prevent some LEO from hassling me if for no other reason than to have something to enter on his daily duty report. (so his boss will think he's doing his job)