1st day of full time van life!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some great advice! I notice time moves alot slower out here compared to city life which is a good thing. And thank you I will join the chat on Tuesday!

I wish those unfortunate events hadn't happened to you. I wish you a great literal and metaphoric road ahead.
Thank you for the kind words! I guess everything happens for a reason and this is the path I am supposed to be on. So far I am really enjoying it. It's taking some getting used too but so far so good.

Well, lets try again: edjautoservices.homestead.com/index.html?_=1448299327090

This should get you in there. There is also this page in the Van Living Resources section of the forum you may want to look thru: when you have some free time. Nice stuff to know about for a newbie.

Links

By the way, does your Caravan have a roof rack on it ?

Last edited:
Well, lets try again: edjautoservices.homestead.com/index.html?_=1448299327090

This should get you in there. There is also this page in the Van Living Resources section of the forum you may want to look thru: when you have some free time. Nice stuff to know about for a newbie.

Links

By the way, does your Caravan have a roof rack on it ?
Got it thank you! Sorry for late reply was in an area with no reception yesterday. I really appreciate the help and info. I'm on day 4 and I'm loving it so far. Don't know how I ever lived in sticks and bricks. Slept very good last night and woke up to an amazing view.

Yes my caravan has a roof rack. I was thinking about mounting a few solar panels. Any suggestion?

Solar panels.... I'd go with Renogy or Rich Solar ridgid panels, eBay or Amazon.

I use a Bluetti power station for a real simple hookup that works.

Last edited:
Rambler wrote:
Yes my caravan has a roof rack. I was thinking about mounting a few solar panels. Any suggestion?

One of the things you should consider with summer coming on, is to make yourself an awning that would attach to the roof rack. It will expand your living room and provide more comfort. It can be made with those plastic tarp's, cord etc from places like Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight. You could cut some poles to support the outer two corners. and find some re-useable tent pegs to tie down the awning. Then find yourself a folding camp chair or two in yard sales or flea markets to enjoy lounging in the open air under the awning. (if a heavier rain sets in I'd suggest taking down the awning....but a very light sprinkle should not present much problem. My Van Conversion website (below) shows how I rigged my first one. You could even use some wire shower curtain pins to tie one side of the awning to the roof rack.

You may want to have the awning area facing away from the sun, and consider a second tarp on the side in the sun to make a shade with some air space to keep the sun from heating up the body of your van too much. Thus keeping things cool.

This is the other website in my signature lines and deals with Van Conversions. (there are 4 links below the "Van Conversion Title" you may want to look at too.

Van Conversion

Nomadic Furniture 1 and 2 are a couple of books you may want to look for in a Library. Here is a link to NF #1 so you can get an idea of it.

Nomadic Furniture

Nomadic Furniture 2

Last edited:
Solar panels.... I'd go with Renogy or Rich Solar ridgid panels, eBay or Amazon.

I use a Bluetti power station for a real simple hookup that works.
Thank you flr the suggestions! I do have a 100w portable folding Rockpals solar panel connected to a 600w Jackery knockoff generator called Oupes.

So far its earning its keep. It has a LiFeP04 battery so it should give me 3600+ charge cycles before it starts to degrade.

I am looking for something to mount on roof so I will look into those brands you listed. Thank you!

Rambler wrote:

One of the things you should consider with summer coming on, is to make yourself an awning that would attach to the roof rack. It will expand your living room and provide more comfort. It can be made with those plastic tarp's, cord etc from places like Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight. You could cut some poles to support the outer two corners. and find some re-useable tent pegs to tie down the awning. Then find yourself a folding camp chair or two in yard sales or flea markets to enjoy lounging in the open air under the awning. (if a heavier rain sets in I'd suggest taking down the awning....but a very light sprinkle should not present much problem. My Van Conversion website (below) shows how I rigged my first one. You could even use some wire shower curtain pins to tie one side of the awning to the roof rack.

You may want to have the awning area facing away from the sun, and consider a second tarp on the side in the sun to make a shade with some air space to keep the sun from heating up the body of your van too much. Thus keeping things cool.

This is the other website in my signature lines and deals with Van Conversions. (there are 4 links below the "Van Conversion Title" you may want to look at too.

Van Conversion

Nomadic Furniture 1 and 2 are a couple of books you may want to look for in a Library. Here is a link to NF #1 so you can get an idea of it.

Nomadic Furniture

Nomadic Furniture 2
Thank you for thr tips! Yes! An awning would make it nice and feel more like a home with a "patio" type area. That's a great idea. Thank you for the book suggestions I'm searching for them ASAP! Loved the link to your story. It was a very encouraging read.

The issue with solid awning materials is windy conditions. You will want two options, one for light rain and also a mesh shade cloth that wind can pass through. 90% weave for maximum shade and 70% for drops on the sides. Be sure to put some way to mount shade cloth to keep strong sun off the area where you have a fridge.

The issue with solid awning materials is windy conditions. You will want two options, one for light rain and also a mesh shade cloth that wind can pass through. 90% weave for maximum shade and 70% for drops on the sides. Be sure to put some way to mount shade cloth to keep strong sun off the area where you have a fridge.
Great idea! I did set up a tarp held up by tent poles. It's not windy here as of yet but a mesh shade cloth would come in handy if it gets too windy. I'm at about 6000 elevation to escape the heat. It's 67 here. Where I lived down in the valley the high will be 96 today so I'm not missing that. Thanks for the heads up regarding wind and my awning.

Got it thank you! Sorry for late reply was in an area with no reception yesterday. I really appreciate the help and info. I'm on day 4 and I'm loving it so far. Don't know how I ever lived in sticks and bricks. Slept very good last night and woke up to an amazing view.

I have a cheap Curt rack from Amazon with the extension piece installed. It installed easily on the factory roof rails and cross bars. I have a 100w panel in it. That is ALL you will fit on the roof. The higher output panels are smaller than the basket, placing them in the bottom. There isn't as much real estate up there as you might think. You might get a "few solar panels" up there.......if they are 50w.

The only reason I have one there is I'm not tall enough to reach the rack to effectively use it for storage. I do not at all care about stealth. Folks have said that the panel in the basket is "stealthy", if you intend on parking like that.

A major shade cloth distributor recommends 70% for wind conditions. I tried 80% and survived, although it did "hold" a lot of the air. I think and closer weave would have been "gone with the wind" Use what you want.

Another idea stream I'd mention here is a technique a lot of RV'ers use when camping and traveling.

The 2-2-2 System. A lot of retired seniors use it as they aren't in any hurry,
and may not have traveled much in their working lives. This lets them wade into short travels three times a week and learn to better plan their travels. Also with fuel prices as they are this could make travel more affordable.

It goes like this.

You've just broke camp and are getting ready to go to the next destinations on your itinerary. It's about 8 am. You have some places you want to see, visit, shop at, etc that you've found in the trip planning sites that seem interesting so you will do these things in the next 6 hours while driving a total of around 2 hours. (but this can vary) The Tripomatic site in the edjautoservices website is excellent for helping plan the next leg of your journey and it suggest all kinds of interesting side trips along the way.

If your timing is good you will arrive where you want to camp early enough to get a good spot with the amenities you want. (usually by 2pm ) So you can check in and get your camping permit for the next 2 days. Your arrival is the first of the two days. This will also give you your pick of many good campsites.

Now that you are in camp at a State or Federal Park you'll stay there the rest that day and the next day so you have time for hiking, boating, fishing, or whatever for the day. The next day you'll be considering the next leg of your itinerary and what you'll do where you'll go for when you hit the road the next morning. This will all depend on what is offered at the Park or facility.

Thus start to travel for 2 hours, check in by 2 pm and stay 2 days.....repeat. Thus 2-2-2

If you are in the south or west where places are further apart you can add days and hours of driving. (staying on Lowe's or Walmart parking lots where permitted or sleeping some in roadside rest stops)

This is an easy going way to wade into learning to travel and plan out your journey while you travel. You will have time in camp to set up your awnings and relax and enjoy yourself.

A major shade cloth distributor recommends 70% for wind conditions. I tried 80% and survived, although it did "hold" a lot of the air. I think and closer weave would have been "gone with the wind" Use what you want.
I only take it down when the wind is over 35mph and that includes the 90%. It could likely handle more but there is simply no point in pushing the boundaries as I want my equipment to last a lot of years.

Of course I am capable of mending things such as torn shade cloth and have done so in the past. I have been sewing canvas work projects for 50 years including custom sizing my current set of shade cloth that I am using on my trailer.

I have seen Abnorm leave his shade sail up in 45mp gusty wind conditions. He has a spare 😆

Welcome! Sorry to hear you got forced into this situation... hope things perk up for you. I'm big into fishing myself. Hope you caught a mess.

Cheers!

Hey jdub, it's ok. I'm very happy with this lifestyle. I love to travel and be outside. And free camping ! It's all good!