1995 G30 Power Steering Pump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cousin_Eddie

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a great day,

I had a small leak and decided to go ahead and have the original PS pump replaced on my 1995 G30 at 100K. I have since had the PS pump replaced 3 times over the last 20k miles and just picked up a leak on the newest one.

They were all new AC Delco pumps and replaced at my local shop with no charge for the replacements under warranty. I’m about to contact them yet again with the news. What could be going on? The van has been very well maintained and never driven hard.

Each time replaced because of leaks? Leaks from where? The pump itself or the hose connections?

I had the 1st newly installed pump replaced because it had a high pitch whin sound, the second replacement went out completely with about 800 miles on it, the current one has 10k on it and has a leak from the pump, not the hoses. Everything had been flushed each time. The shop has been aroung 100 years and the top peolple have worked on each time.

My sympathies. Granted your regular shop is on doing everything right, it sounds like a design flaw or a bad production run to me. Your local shop should put in a labor claim to their parts supplier and research if there are after market replacements that are actually better than original equipment. I heard of a problem in the past with Ford F150 original equipment brake rotors warping, once they were replaced with after market parts the problem went away. I bought some tools from Harbor Freight that I had to modify straight out of the box just to work properly. They were supposed to be ready to use. There was no fine print reading "some modification required". It's disappointing when brand new isn't good enough. The system is broken when every one is fighting tooth and nail to turn out the cheapest stuff, to make quick sale, but nothing works.
A sub manager of a corporate auto parts store was complaining to me about the low quality of the help they had.
"Where did all these idiots come from?" They asked.
I said "Human resources got them at a good price."

Pardon my griping. I hope it gets better.

Well even tho the pumps are name brand and new,still could be inferior foreign made parts. You're lucky to be in one place instead of on the road.