12 volt propane and carbon monoxide detector

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandbrenda

Reaction score
Found one detector that was $79 that is 12 volt.  Are there other options? What do all of you use?

I use a combination one for LP and CO. It's 12v and hooked up to my house battery via the fuse box. No problems with it although it looks like a couple of people were unhappy with it not lasting long on Camping Worlds web site. I've had mine hooked up for about 6 months with no problems.

I know it works because when I was hooking up my heater I didn't tighten down the hose to it and when I turned on the propane the detector went of pretty quickly. I've been happy with it. I like that it is 12v and not battery operated. I also like the dual purpose for LP gas and CO. I paid about $80 for mine. No regrets.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/35-series-dual-lp-carbon-monoxide-alarm-black/70012

I have a Marine Technologies 12v combination ($62. in 2015)
Tried several battery powered models and soon tired of the short life of the batteries and damned beeping for fresh ones.
Never had a propane alert, but have had the CO alert when idling with the door open.

deadwood said:
I use a combination one for LP and CO. It's 12v and hooked up to my house battery via the fuse box. No problems with it although it looks like a couple of people were unhappy with it not lasting long on Camping Worlds web site. I've had mine hooked up for about 6 months with no problems.

I know it works because when I was hooking up my heater I didn't tighten down the hose to it and when I turned on the propane the detector went of pretty quickly. I've been happy with it. I like that it is 12v and not battery operated. I also like the dual purpose for LP gas and CO. I paid about $80 for mine. No regrets.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/35-series-dual-lp-carbon-monoxide-alarm-black/70012

Thanks for the Wally World link for rv campers. They have everything!
:)

Itripper said:
A model on Amazon for $76 with prime shipping, has excellent reviews (114 reviews 4.5 star)
LP & CO Detector

That's the same one I bought at Camping World but mine is black. But there were only a couple of reviews of it on the Camping World web site and they only complained that it didn't last very long. Glad to see that there are better reviews on Amazon for the same model. Mine has worked great so far and I would buy it again if I needed a new one.

Manual for MTI 35 series
https://www.mtiindustries.com/PDFs/rv/35_Series.pdf

"If you don’t know the installation date, replace the alarm no later than 5 years after the production date on the back of the alarm."

"End of Life Signal – The Sensor has a 5 Year Service Life All 35 Series models include an End of Life (EOL) Signal indicating the sensor has reached the end of its service life and you must replace the alarm. The signal is the LED flashing RED RED GREEN GREEN with a beep every 25 - 30 seconds. The EOL Signal may be reset by pushing TEST / RESET button on the alarm. This will reset the EOL Signal for a period of 72 hours (3 days) for a total of up to 30 days. After 30 days the signal cannot be reset and the alarm must be replaced. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE ALARM UNTIL YOU HAVE A REPLACEMENT ALARM AVAILABLE TO INSTALL."