12 Volt microwave

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Netter said:
Hi, here is a link to the 12 volt Power Hunt Wave Microwave.

There are two versions: AC/DC and DC only

There are also reviews on you tube.

http://www.power-hunt.com/12-volt-microwave.php

Microwaves are for people who can't cook. It always fascinates me that car/van/truck, etc...dwellers find them to be a necessary appliance. Besides being HUGE power sinks, they just suck at heating up food.
20170407_134115.jpg
20170507_174036.jpg
20170421_005939.jpg
Eat healthy, eat fresh, throw away that microwave!

Attachments

• 20170407_134115.jpg
    20170407_134115.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20170507_174036.jpg
    20170507_174036.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20170421_005939.jpg
    20170421_005939.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 17
If they want to use a microwave they surely can. Don't food shame please.

RVTravel said:
If they want to use a microwave they surely can. Don't food shame please.

Oh, that's just precious. Doesn't effect the validity of my observation, and thesis for argument; People that use microwaves can't cook. Full stop. 

Plus, the power consumption is a no brainer for cheap living. Microwaves, not unlike air conditioners, are two items that don't belong in the same book as cheap living. Accept in chapter 7 : Things you will learn just aren't necessary. Period.

SchortBus said:
People that use microwaves can't cook. Full stop. 

Plus, the power consumption is a no brainer for cheap living. Microwaves, not unlike air conditioners, are two items that don't belong in the same book as cheap living.

Even if what you said were true, and not a stupid insult, so what?

Not everyone is you. Your way is not the only way to live. You look pretty sanctimonious passing judgement against other people based on your own prejudice!

Oh and by the way, I can make the best steak you ever had, and it comes out of a microwave as the last step.

Finally on them being power hogs, that’s just silly. They draw a lot of power but only for very short periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit like saying cars are for people who can't walk, or power tools are for people who can't use a handsaw or turn a screwdriver.

Anyway...

12 volt microwaves are not new, they have been on the (niche) market for probably 20 years, but they tend to be pricey compared to just buying a decent inverter and a cheap, easily replaceable microwave. 

Before the anti-inverter guys hit me up with efficiency babble, just remember, NO microwave magnetron can run on 12v natively, so there is also a step-up DC to DC converter, or maybe a DC to AC to DC buck-boost inverter, in these microwaves. 

You gotta get that 2000-2500 volts on the plate of the magnetron tube somehow...

tx2sturgis said:
Before the anti-inverter guys hit me up with efficiency babble, just remember, NO microwave magnetron can run on 12v natively, .... You gotta get that 2000-2500 volts on the plate of the magnetron tube somehow...

120v is always more efficient & cost effective than 12v.

This is CheapRVLuving— if you wanna be genuinely cheap, just use 120v appliances.

I use a pressure cooker and cook nice dishes on propane like a pork roast with rice. Usually there is enough for 6 meals in there so I put the leftovers in the fridge, this is where the $50 600 watt microwave comes in, reheating on a paper plate, no mess, no dishes,  no fuss! I love cooking fresh, but reheating almost everything is easier and faster in a microwave. Plus once you have the microwave, free electricity vs purchasing propane, I say it is cheap rv living.

Add: I totally forgot, I recently got a small portable induction cook top, during the day I use that instead of propane stove, more free heating. Once you get your rig set up nice, it all gets cheaper.

This thread should be split because the OP was not about a debate on if a person that uses a microwave can cook or if making a salad or reheating refried beans is actually to be considered cooking. In fact a thread titled "people that use microwave can't cook" would bring a much livelier debate. Hiding it in here is a disservice to the debate as well as the OP about a 12 volt microwave.

On the OP. A 12v microwave would be useful for those that do not want or have the space for a inverter. That does not mean that there is a huge reduction in the power required to run it or the need to have heavy wiring to support it. It simply means one less device to be purchased and installed.

jimindenver said:
That does not mean that there is a huge reduction in the power required to run it or the need to have heavy wiring to support it. It simply means one less device to be purchased and installed.

But that device has to be purchased anyway, it’s just already installed in the microwave in your hypothetical. And then again in, say, an induction cooktop.

Both of which will now be serving much smaller markets and be more expensive.

What I was saying is that there is not a second device with heavy wiring needed to support a 120Vac microwave. If there is limited space in a rig and no other 120v devices to be run, a 12 volt microwave makes sense.

Now we are discussing pros and cons of a 120V AC microwave or 12V DC microwave. Sounds like another thread to me too. I kinda like the idea of a 12V DC microwave as it appears to be smaller than a small 120V AC unit. For one person this sounds ideal especially in a small space.

No wonder the mods are pulling their hair out trying to keep threads from being derailed....

Does this make me a troublemaker?

SchortBus said:
Oh, that's just precious. Doesn't effect the validity of my observation, and thesis for argument; People that use microwaves can't cook. Full stop. 

Personally attacking the Original Poster, who is seeking our advice on choosing a microwave, is outright rude.  Stop it.

Netter said:
Hi, here is a link to the 12 volt Power Hunt Wave Microwave.

There are two versions: AC/DC and DC only

There are also reviews on you tube.

http://www.power-hunt.com/12-volt-microwave.php

A high quality  Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter is $278, there are much cheaper inverters however.
A name brand Westinghouse WCM660W 600 Watt Counter Top Rotary Microwave Oven, 0.6 Cubic Feet, Black is $46
Together that is $324

The Power Hunt 12-Volt Microwave (12 Volt DC Voltage ONLY) is $299 ($330 on the original powerhunt site)

It does not make sense to by the solitary DC microwave, when you can get a high quality true sine wave inverter and a name brand microwave for nearly the same price, plus you have an inverter that can do so much more. The 12V microwave dies you have $300 cost to replace, the 120v one dies it cost <$50.

Reheating "leftovers" is a huge aid to convenience even for those cooking from scratch.

Make a 2-gallon chili, freeze into quart ziplocs, 2-3 times a week great eating for months, takes 10 seconds of actual attention for 90% of the subsequent meals.

Same with soups, stews, curries, a bit of chicken.

Not to mention quickly steaming veggies, potatoes, refreshin, crock of steamed rice.

Nothing wrong with using a microwave!

It's fast food and "pre-prepared" factory food that IMO deserves disparaging, but not of course the people that make choices different from mine.

wistful vista said:
Personally attacking the Original Poster, who is seeking our advice on choosing a microwave, is outright rude.  Stop it.

Nothing personal Francis, I just can't understand the need for a 1000W energy sink, that destroys whatever item you insert,  in an environment where every watt counts.

microwave.jpg

I would insert my hand into hot water...no so much a running MICROWAVE!

Attachments

• microwave.jpg
    microwave.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 21
I have one, it is used to reheat foods after conventionally cooking large meals for planned leftovers. I'm not unhealthy or dead yet.
You don't have to use it for an hour or more which would make it an "energy sink" vs reheating on a stove which uses natural Earth resources, like gas, propane or wood. 
I don't have to rely on a MW, but it is good to have a low power MW when using renewable energy which the OP apparently does have or is planning on getting. 

OP, get a MW that works for you, it is your choice and is not an energy sin. Even Bob has and advocates for using a MW.

SchortBus said:
 I just can't understand

A microwave is a tool and a cook knows how to use all of the tools at their disposal. Just because YOU do not understand  does not make the tool good or bad, it means that YOU have a limitation. Others may not have such a limitation and desire the tool to be at their disposal.

I would like to invite you into my camp once you are on the road. I would love to have you show me how much better of a cook you are than me simply because I use a microwave at times and you do not. Know that a large portion of my rig is dedicated to food and cooking of multiple cuisines in multiple ways including some that I give talks and lessons on.

As the saying goes, bring your lunch. :p

^^^ Can I pay for a plate of the cooks' foods and be blindfolded while I savor or not savor, and then vote for who I believe is the winner?

It'd go down in CRVL history as "The Great  MW vs NO MW CookOff Event!"