12 volt compressor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that same HFT compressor.... it works perfect but buying the Amazon one above for an extra vehicle.

I have a Superflow 150. Takes its time to get 80# in the rears, but gets it done.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am thinking of buying a 12 volt compressor for my motorhome and would like the thoughts of those on this forum of those who use them and if they are worth my time. I am thinking of if I am out on BLM land and am getting ready to go and find I have a low tire or as has been mentioned in another thread to let air out of your tires if you are stuck in the sand. I am handicapped so using a traction mat would be very difficult, but letting air out of my tires would be possible, but once I was unstuck I would not want to run them low to go get air. In the old days for me I drove semi, but with that I didn't need a compressor, I would just connect a air hose up to my glad hand for my trailer and air up the tires. Thank you in advance for any and all info.
I got a Viair 89P-RVS and it’s worked great for me. I’ve had cheaper ones in the past and what I like most about my Viair is how fast it fills a tire. The cheap ones you could hook it up and almost have a meal while you wait for it to do it’s job.

I've owned the MV50 and the Harbor Freight 150-PSI units and both are good. I currently own a double-compressor ARB setup with a tank, but that is a $700+ bill. I keep the Harbor Freight one around to air up others' vehicles and as a backup and it's been solid and reliable for years because I take care of it.

One thing that is important to pay attention to is the Duty Cycle of a compressor. My ARB setup has a 100% duty cycle which means it can run continuously without breaks to cool down. The HF compressor is a hearty compressor, but is not a 100% duty cycle. I have not been able to find out what its actual duty cycle rating is, but I expect it to be ~33%. This means I run it for 5 mins, then turn it off for 10 minutes. If you don't do this it can overheat and leave you stranded. It might not die immediately, but if you run it for 20 minutes, then put it away, the next time you go to use it, it might be seized.

It's really annoying to have to let it cool for 10 minutes every 5 minutes, especially with big tires/duallys and/or high-PSI requirements, and that's why I bit the bullet on the dual ARB setup. Since that type of setup is not in your budget, protect the $70 you spend on a HF or MV50 compressor by following that duty cycle and keep the compressor clean, dry, and dust-free.

this is the compressor I recommend in your price range: https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

Last edited:
That is the one I have for high pressure tires but for low pressure I use the small Ryobi as I have the batteries for other tools and I got it on sale less than $30. As stated above you need to let them rest or you will melt them.

I have that exact same model & it's a BEAST. Airs up an RV tire quickly, 85 psi in my case, & only gets warm. Best to run the engine while doing so tho. ..Willy.