12 volt compressor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsyjoe#1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am thinking of buying a 12 volt compressor for my motorhome and would like the thoughts of those on this forum of those who use them and if they are worth my time. I am thinking of if I am out on BLM land and am getting ready to go and find I have a low tire or as has been mentioned in another thread to let air out of your tires if you are stuck in the sand. I am handicapped so using a traction mat would be very difficult, but letting air out of my tires would be possible, but once I was unstuck I would not want to run them low to go get air. In the old days for me I drove semi, but with that I didn't need a compressor, I would just connect a air hose up to my glad hand for my trailer and air up the tires. Thank you in advance for any and all info.

I carry a Superflow MV-50 inflator that I bought several years ago off Amazon. Then, it was only about $60, but I see now they're $165.

Actually, the one they're selling under that name now looks different and there is another one that is identical to mine for $79:

https://www.amazon.com/GSPSCN-Porta...YHKFSYEEZK4&psc=1&refRID=WAKX425G8YHKFSYEEZK4

I guess it's the "juggle Chinese goods" game on Amazon.

They are supposed to go up to 150 PSI but I'm dubious. If it did go up that far, it would take a long time.

My tires are only 50 PSI max. so it works OK for me. I've only used it to top up when my load varies or to add winter air.

The small fitting on the end of the air hose that screws onto the tire valve is awkward to use.

You can buy a short adapter at O'Reilly's that has one of those quick on-off ends, like a bicycle pump. Works a lot better.

+1 on the mv50 I've got one they work great. Get the adapter and check the head bolts usually a couple are slightly loose and don't trust the gauge.

I have a Viair (300, I believe). It fills my travel trailers (require 65psi) and truck tires with no issues. 33% duty cycle and 150psi, which is good enough for me.

I had a top of the line Viair. I found it quite lacking. with most 12v air compressors they require about 14.2v to rum at the max. that means engine running at high idle. so I installed an engine driven air compressor on my Chevy what a world of difference there is no comparison. I have heard good things about the MV-50 but again you need to run at high idle, which means a settable throttle. highdesertranger

slow2day said:
The small fitting on the end of the air hose that screws onto the tire valve is awkward to use.
My 120 PSI compressor also has a screw on adaptor. The end of that adaptor slides back and forth. What I found is that you can "slide" the screw fitting forward "before" you start screwing it, so by time the valve plunger engages, it doesn't really let any air out of the tire. Likewise, push the fitting into the stem while unscrewing it, and little air gets released.

I've run a Viair 330 (100 % duty cycle) for several years now, it's never failed. It's slow but it'll refill truck and trailer tires as needed. I picked it up after my mv50 died during an offroad adventure, pushed it too hard to fill up too many tires. Always run the engine while running the air compressor, too many amps going to the viair (or mv50) - discharging the battery otherwise

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

scottrod31 said:
 don't trust the gauge.
When the air is pumping, the gauge on the hose reads 10 PSI or more high, then the reading drops when you turn off the pump. At that point, the reading is fairly close to my other gauge.

"When the air is pumping, the gauge on the hose reads 10 PSI or more high"

Makes sense that the dynamic reading would be higher. The extra pressure is to force enough air by volume into to the tube/tire until the desired static psi is reached.

I use competition style air pressure gauges that have a bleed off button, set the compressor to +2 psi, it shuts off. Then after removing the lever locked chuck, some is lost, any extra psi is bled off down to the desired psi.

CrowsWingTeardrop said:
I've run a Viair 330 (100 % duty cycle) for several years now

I looked up that Viair 330, looks good, but the cheapest I could find it for was $228 way out of my price range. I was hoping in the 5o to 60 price range. maybe I am just dreaming to find a good compressor for what I can afford.

Gypsyjoe#1 said:
I looked up that Viair 330, looks good, but the cheapest I could find it for was $228 way out of my price range. I was hoping in the 5o to 60 price range. maybe I am just dreaming to find a good compressor for what I can afford.
The MV50 or Masterflow 1050 will be your best bet then. They're the same pump and actually work well. They're portable and connect directly to the battery with clamps.

https://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/superflow-mv-50-air-compressor-mf-1050-mv50.html

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I bought a 12v air compressor from Harbor Freight that looks exactly like the Viair to me. It was around $60, and mine works perfect every time I use it. I don't need anything better.

Gypsyjoe#1 said:

The 100% duty cycle on the Viair 330 is a good thing as it takes these little compressors awhile to fill tires. One of those 'you get what you pay for' deals with this one (I think).

I have the viair 70p, which is the same as the 74p. Does 100 psi, has a built in pressure gauge, and I haven't had a problem with duty cycle. I needed that one because my fifth wheel tires take 80 psi.

That one is around $120

Anyhow, I like it. Works great for me.

Qxxx said:
When the air is pumping, the gauge on the hose reads 10 PSI or more high, then the reading drops when you turn off the pump. At that point, the reading is fairly close to my other gauge.

Yes! Mine is about 10PSI higher when running, too.

It helps to have some extenders on your tires so you can air both tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1