12 Volt And AC/DC Microwaves!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$340 for a "microwave"  But more exciting to me are the George Foreman type grills for $40!

AH!!!  Catch is the "power port" for another $50!

They sent me one of each for testing back in 2012. The micro worked well but it was very small and it was low powered. My standard test of micros is a bag of popcorn which should take 2 1/2 to 3 minutes and then be cooked well, not burned and not many unpopped kernals. It took 7 minutes!! But it was cooked well.

The grill was small, just enough for a grilled cheese. It worked well but drew a lot of power. I decided I couldn't recommend either so I just sent them back and never wrote the review.

I know $340 is a lot for the micro, but a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter will be more than that so it really isn't that bad a price. Of course if you buy an inverter you can use it for lots of things, you can't use the one in the micro for anything else. The 2000 watt PSW inverter I run my micro off of was $375, but I can use it for anything else I want.
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-PROWatt-Inverter-Model-806-1220/dp/B002LGEMOQ/

Bob

So many new things to add to my wish list! New batteries, more solar power, and the directional antenna come first though.

akrvbob said:
I know $340 is a lot for the micro, but a 2000 watt  pure sine wave inverter will be more than that so it really isn't that bad a price. Of course if you buy an inverter you can use it for lots of things, you can't use the one in the micro for anything else.  The 2000 watt PSW inverter I run my micro off of was $375, but I can use it for anything else I want.

Hey Bob,

I have a 2000watt pure sine AIMS inverter, with a 240 amp hour battery bank, yet when I try to run my 600watt microwave (950watt at startup) off the inverter, it shuts down due to overdraw. Do you think my battery bank is too small to run this microwave? I have tried running the mic with: The batteries  at full charge; car engine running with solenoid charging; and all other appliances switched off so microwave is only thing running. Yet the inverter still short circuits. I know it's a protection feature of the inverter, as it shuts off once the batteries are overdrawn past 10.5volts. I'd hate to add the extra weight of additional batteries; I'd rather just go without the microwave.

I hope to hear about what you think!

Aims inverters are price friendly, but not so friendly when testing equipment is hooked to them.Hz can vary well away from 60, volage can hover in the low 100's and the pure sine wave might have 3 or 4 more steps than a MSW inverter, making the pure sine wave claim dubious at best.

Try thickening and shortening the cables from battery to inverter. Most people use much too thin and too long of wiring to their inverter, as they see the AC cable to device is thin. But the same wattage at 1/10 the voltage requires a cable 10 times the thickness.

Inverter cables should always be fat and short.

Running even a small inverter through a ciggy receptacle is almost the definition of insanity.

If you're running the engine at the same time that should bring the voltage up to keep the inverter going. I have 4 golf carts and Prowatt Xantrex 2000 PSW inverter and when my 750 watt micro is on the voltage drops to about 11.9m no matter how high it was to begin with. The inverter is okay with that since it shuts down at 11.6. Two batteries alone probably wouldn't do it but if the engine is on and connected it should bring the voltage up enough.

I think Sternwake hit it, it's probably either a low quality inverter or too small cable sizes. I'm running 2/0 on my inverter, it's the size of my thumb. The cable from the alternator/starting battery should be at least 4 awg.

I've got 260 Ah of battery, and when using my 1000 watt microwave the voltage droops to as low as 12.4v. El-cheapo MSW 2kw inverter wired with 1/0 and 2/0, solar contributing about 350 watts. LiFePO4 batteries of course, near full charge. (13.3v resting)

$340 to pop pop-corn?

I learned to pop corn on a Coleman white gas pump two burner in a pan with a lid when I was 7.

I lived through the Air Pop machine craze. I've eaten gobs of Jiffy Pop! (a secret vice of mine). I even made tons of the stuff working in movie theaters as a kid.

Now we have pop corn in a bag full of chemicals that give you cancer if you take a big whiff of that hot steam.

I'll just stick to a pan with a lid, a touch of vegetable oil, some super fine powdered salt and melted butter or ghee. A sprinkle of parmesan is also really nice.

Food is more than just nourishment, it is ritual, it's flavor and texture. Just tossing a bag in a box seems so cold.

akrvbob said:
 bag of popcorn ... It took 7 minutes!! But it was cooked well.

Bob

A need for such instant gratification seems unlike you Bob.  :angel:

Was there a difference in over all power consumption? high power/quick vs. low power/slow?