1 LB Propane Bottles Can Be Stored on Their Sides

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaredycat72

Reaction score
I contacted Bernzomatic and asked them if their 1 lb (16 oz) propane bottles could be stored on their sides because I'm I carrying 2 - 1 lb bottles in my car on their sides and they emailed me back and said they could. I haven't emailed Coleman yet so I don't know what they'll say but for the Bernzomatic bottles, it's fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-193512_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-193512_Gmail.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220118_193659.jpg
    20220118_193659.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3
Storing it on it's side should be ok. But there could be a problem if it's stored on it's side inside a very hot vehicle and the pressure value gets blocked with ice from expanding propane.

Inside the bottles the Propane is under pressure and mostly liquid but the free space is filled with propane in gas state.

Here's a question for the gurus.....

What happens if you invert the propane tank / bottle when in use rather than have it with the valve at the top?

Last edited:
. . . What happens if you invert the propane tank / bottle when in use rather than have it with the valve at the top?
You get liquid propane out when the tank is inverted.
That is the way you fill 1# bottles from a larger propane tank.

If you open the valves the same you get 273 times as much propane from an inverted tank (equal volumes). Big fireball when ignited.