1/2 ton camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith58

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows, is it possible to carry a popup slide in camper on a 2019 Ram 1500. My payload limit is somewhere around 1850lbs. The campers i have found info on would be pushing that payload limit dry. Is anyone experienced with carrying a popup slide in camper?

Just to be clear, in the US, payload is the manufacturer liability and warranty limit, based on the stock configuration. It isn't a legal value, meaning going over it isn't against the law. The great majority of 1/2 ton trucks with a camper are over GVWR.

I don't know the details on your truck (a Ram forum would be a good place to look), but beef up your rear suspension and install a rear swaybar and E-load tires and it should handle the weight fine. Just don't go crazy overloading it and drive safely.

The gvwr mentioned above not being a legal value only liability for the manufacturer and warranty may be true, but your insurance can deny a claim if they determine you were over the gvwr as its not just what the vehicle can carry, but also whether the vehicle can stop and maneuver safely. The highway patrol can also pull you over if looks like you're over the weight limit.
(Let's not get into whether the police should or should not in this discussion please)

Many people do carry something like a four wheel camper shell model hawk which says 1,100lbs dry, so that doesn't include water, frig, heater, solar, battery etc.
Also the 1,850 payload capacity you mention is misleading, as it is on ALL trucks. That is TOTAL payload including passengers, fuel, and whatever else you might carry in the cab portion.
If there are two people at 150 each then that 1,850 capacity has already dropped to 1,550.
If you're looking for something light as a semi permanent popup you might try https://campovrlnd.com/products/ovrlnd-pop-top-camper they start at around $8,400. and around 300lbs.
I'm building my own and plan to keep the weight as light as possible.

Last edited:
I'm in a FWC Grandby pop up on a Ram 2500. I tip the scales at 7900 lbs wet. That puts the camper at about 1550 lbs fully loaded.

Others carry these on 1/2 ton trucks, even Toyotas. You need to upgrade: Timbrens, air bags, or HD springs, better shocks, E rated tires, bigger front and rear anti-sway bars. And be careful braking: 3 second rule following and careful on long downhills.

BTW: GVWR and GAWRs are legal definitions of what your truck can carry, although it isn't enforced on light duty trucks and small RVs. Do not exceed your rear axle GAWR.

A related story regarding 1/2 ton trucks and campers...

I have a 2016 Tundra DC with 8' bed, 1/2 ton with a 1450 lb payload. Shortly after I bought it I saw a couple with a ginormous camper on the very same truck, so I asked them about it. Unfortunately I don't recall the make or model of the camper but it stuck out past the rear of the bed a few feet and was very tall, the kind that weigh over 3,000 lbs dry. Add at least 500lbs for water, and 1,000 lbs of people and stuff... 4,500 lb+, or 3,000 lb+ over GVWR! They said they'd been living in it a couple years, camping in the woods mostly, working remotely. Said the truck handled the weight fine... with airbags the only upgrade! :eek:

BTW: GVWR and GAWRs are legal definitions of what your truck can carry, although it isn't enforced on light duty trucks and small RVs. Do not exceed your rear axle GAWR.

It's legal for the manufacturer (liability and warranty), but not the owner. That's why it's never enforced. If they made it a legal limit for the owner, payloads would be higher, or at least there would be legal ways to increase it with upgrades.

I'm building my own and plan to keep the weight as light as possible.

I stupidly didn't think I'd end up over GVWR since I'm building a light camper and removing the bed. The camper itself after subtracting the weight of the bed, will be <1,000 lbs, but... if you start adding up "stuff" you find that it really adds up! I'll be more like 1,000 lbs over GVWR when I'm done, but still under the axle ratings...

I personally would not attempt a slide-in on a 1/2 ton...but I think you are in luck: Project M.

Depending on your time table, because there is a waiting list. The delivery dates are into next year now.

FWC Project M are a lighter weight (around 500 pounds or less) pop up...topper. Not a slide-in. Inside comfort and amenities are almost nothing but you can stand up, there is a bed, and you can add electrical hookups and LED lights.

It may or may not be what you are looking for.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/four-wheel-campers-project-m-revealed/

I'm curious if anyone knows, is it possible to carry a popup slide in camper on a 2019 Ram 1500. My payload limit is somewhere around 1850lbs. The campers i have found info on would be pushing that payload limit dry. Is anyone experienced with carrying a popup slide in camper?
If you think you'd be happy with a camper that sits on the bed rails, I have some links.

Jonathan Yentch has a YT channel & he recently bought a new one (camper on bed rails). Most people thought it was a Bel-Air, which Bob Wells has recommended, but he bought it from a company Bel-Air subcontracts to: USA Camper Shell (for about half the price Bel-Air charges).

U S A Camper Shell
Address: 4284 Mission Blvd, Unit A, Montclair, CA 91763, United States
Phone: +1 909 627 3556

Bel-Air Shells
Address: 9871 Garden Grove Blvd, Garden Grove, CA 92844, United States
Phone: +1 714 534 1373

Jonathan's channel (jump to 9:50):
I've wanted a Callen camper for a long time. They are a little more expensive than the Bel-Air, but are made really well.

https://callencampers.com/campers
Here is one in Alaska that looks promising. They make full size slide ins and the bed rail ones:

https://www.cachecamper.com/

Last edited:
There ae many options for toppers and bed-rail campers...but very few of those are the pop-up style that the OP was looking for.

The advantage of a pop-up is that it will be a bit less like a 'barn door' being pushed thru the air, and strong broadside winds should be less of an issue. And pop-ups usually can allow a lot of light and airflow. Also, FWC campers and toppers are all-aluminum, meaning much less chance for corrosion.

Of course the downside for a pop-up is the operation and set-up (and take-down) and of course, you don't have the storage cabinets and cubbies up near the ceiling that a rigid slide-in camper or topper might have.

Wood-framed toppers (like the BelAire) might eventually leak at the seams and then you might end up with mold or even rotten wood framing if the leak was allowed to continue. I know that my all-aluminum pickup-bed topper will occasionally allow water in if subjected to a driving rain storm, but I dont have to worry about wood framing getting soaked...there is no wood in the frame at all.

There are many options on the market and each potential buyer should weigh all the pros and cons of each.

Good luck.

lol....yeah and a seat that the pooch can sit on...and a place for the aquarium...I mean...I mean, you never know, right?

:cool:

lol....yeah and a seat that the pooch can sit on...and a place for the aquarium...I mean...I mean, you never know, right?

:cool:
I have a Gofast camper on my Ranger. Works well as a cap, tent pops up into a wedge. Tent floor is removable so can easily standup in it. I'm 6'3" and didn't have a problem. However, my 5' wife couldn't get into it without a stepladder. Can enter the camper from either the tailgate end or a ladder to the tent. It's extremely minimalistic, but it's cheaper than a slide in or FWC and it weighs ~ 250#.

I personally would not attempt a slide-in on a 1/2 ton...but I think you are in luck: Project M.

Depending on your time table, because there is a waiting list. The delivery dates are into next year now.

FWC Project M are a lighter weight (around 500 pounds or less) pop up...topper. Not a slide-in. Inside comfort and amenities are almost nothing but you can stand up, there is a bed, and you can add electrical hookups and LED lights.

It may or may not be what you are looking for.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/four-wheel-campers-project-m-revealed/
I did look into Project M. I like it a lot, but delivery date was 1.5 yrs out. I could be dead in a year and a half.

Yep...you never know. Or you could win the lottery and buy a half million dollar RV and then again...maybe not.

I have had several older 1/2 T and light duty 3/4 T Chevys and Fords, when you carry much weight regularly it tends to wear the axle shafts which the bearing run on, unlike the true heavy duty 3/4T trucks with full floater rear axles. Those have double tapered bearings with replaceable races, MUCH better with the loads, and if the bearings start to go, doesnt require replacing the axle shafts along with the bearings. Ive replaced maybe 8 or 10 axle shafts

. On one light duty Ford F250 4wd, rather than throw good money after bad, when it wore the axles shafts, I got a true heavy duty 3/4 T axle and junked the old light duty one. I never had to replace bearings on a heavy duty 3/4 T rear axle, and certainly not the shafts. I havent messed with them in many years, they may have gone to better setups, but I wouldnt hold my breath on that unless that was proven, to which I should add Ive heard nothing to imply they improved them.

The Japanese pickups have better axle bearings than the older US 1/2 and light duty 3/4 T trucks. They had bearings more like the heavy duty 3/4 T trucks.

I may look more into popup topper camper than a slide in camper because of weight difference. Camper sitting on bed rails still meets most of my needs. I'm mostly looking for standing headroom, and cab over bed. Topper camper will lose a little width, but that's ok since I will be travelling solo. The Topo Topper Badlander has good price and they claim 12-14 week lead time, which I can certainly live with. They don't list my truck on their build page, but I will call and find if they do build for Ram 1500 with short bed( 5'8" ). Thanks everyone for info.

Our 2002 Toyota Sequoia lost a rear axle bearing and fortunately it was just a bearing due to damage to the seal by a mechanic that installed the aftermarket emergency brake parts improperly. Always use quality factory parts installed by an experienced Toyota mechanic, it is worth it. The scary part was if the rear end housing had been damaged the only used housing we were able to find in the USA was 1500 miles away and was $1500 plus shipping and had over 300,000 miles on it! With the price of labor and parts it just isn’t worth over loading in my opinion. My 3/4 ton Suburban got one ton axles as replacements as well.

I called Topo Toppers, and found they do NOT make a camper to fit my Ram YET. They said multiple people have inquired about a camper for short bed Ram. I am hopeful the wait won't be long. This camper seems nice and price is very reasonable.