Dispersed or free camping arounf Twin Falls Idaho

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaDog

Reaction score
As the title states has anyone camped on the BLM or free sites?

all BLM land is open unless posted otherwise.

we have a member Honeys Park in Arco Idaho that lets people stay on his property for free.

highdesertranger

Get on freecampsites.net. There is a lot of free camping around Twin Falls and all over the state.

I'd guess it depends on how close to Twin Falls you want to be. The city is surrounded by agricultural land. There's a large county park on the north rim of the Snake River, but its listed activities don't include camping. I think you'll need to go farther north or south of town. Freecampsites.net shows a couple of places.

We have the Avenza maps app, and splurge on Benchmark state Landscape Atlas maps to easily identify BLM and other agency lands. They are not cheap, and take up a LOT of space on my phone.

They are active maps- you can see your exact location on the map. It makes it easy to be sure you're squarely on the right piece of dirt for legal free camping.

When we started using them, we discovered loads of good boondocking possibilities that have no special names and/or aren't listed and reviewed to death on the internet.

You can go wrong by not knowing the area's ground type (deep sand, sharp aa, thick vegitation, nowhere flat to pull off, etc.) But if you're willing to take chances on long gravel and dirt roads to scout, it can be really rewarding.

The maps designate what kind of road is what. We didn't pull our little trailer down roads designated as 4wd or unimproved dirt without first trying it with our 4wd tow vehicle.