HUGE Kidde Fire Extinguisher RECALL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny b

Reaction score
More than 40 million fire extinguishers, some on the market for more than four decades, are being recalled because they may not work in an emergency.

The recall covers 134 models of push-button and plastic-handle extinguishers in the U.S. and Canada made from 1973 through Aug. 15 of this year. It includes models that were previously recalled in March of 2009 and February of 2015.

Owners should contact Kidde to ask for a free replacement and for instructions on how to return recalled models. Kidde can be reached at (855) 271-0773 or at    www.kidde.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ot-work-recalled/ar-AAumhr8?OCID=ansmsnnews11

:(

Thanks for this...I checked all six of my small extinguishers and three are First Alert models, two are older Kidde units, along with a Buckeye Equipment extinguisher that came with the van.

While I was doing that, I also checked the gauges, all good.

One (and possibly both) of my Kidde extinguishers is on the recall notice!

One ringy dingy.....two ringy dingy....

never buy the extinguishers with the plastic valves. besides being cheaply made you can't refill them. highdesertranger

the fire extinguisher in my kitchen has been there since I moved in was included in the recall. already filled in the paperwork on kidde website and a replacement is coming.

Thank you.  I checked my new fire extinguisher because of your post, and it  has been recalled.  I called Kidde and the nice lady is sending me a replacement.

I also learned that some of the defective units date back to 1973. I hope a lot of people see this information and check their extinguishers.

You may have saved lives with your post.

I was online researching which fire extinguisher would be best for my minivan. Saw the Kidde recall so won't buy that brand. Also saw HDR's comment re don't buy the ones with plastic handles.

Then there was mention of checking the home fire extinguishers. Wasn't even thinking about that. Must do now. Good to know that if it is a Kidde they will send a replacement model.

I'm going to shop today for a good one for vehicle, a co/smoke detector combo plus an outdoor temp & humidity monitor. Anyone with recommendations pls speak up. Mine will not be wall mounted, need monitors that can be kept in the cubby next to my bed.

tx2sturgis said:
I'm still waiting on my free replacement...it's been over a month now.

:huh:

Hmmm, hope it arrives soon, tx. I recently wrangled with a company re my 5 yr old bed. Whole unit was 2k, and due to back injury that had to be spent. But it was defective, and worse than an air mattress for my back.

Finally mustered the energy to tackle a company mgr. Convinced her via words & photos that the darn bed was faulty and I needed a refund. End of story: old bed removed, now sleeping on brand new bed.

Kidde better send your replacement. They'll be hearing from me, because they made the one in my old adobe....

Thanks for the heads up! Found two of the recalled units in my garage. Will be giving Kidde a call today!

After about 6 weeks, the expected delivery time, I just got an email stating my replacement is on back order.
Ah well, at least they let me know.

johnny b said:
After about 6 weeks, the expected delivery time, I just got an email stating my replacement is on back order.
Ah well, at least they let me know.
I had just bought my Kidde fire extinguisher a few months ago for my van.  Of course it was one of the recalled ones. The replacement won't be here in time for my three month trip. Now no fire extinguisher so not sure what to do...

Just got mine...one on Thursday and the other on Friday. New handles are beefed up...but still plastic.

I talked to the customer service manager at Home Depot about the Kidde recall and the long wait for replacements. He said "Bring yours in, we'll give you new ones of equal value." 

A friend & I exchanged ours. I like Home Depot's staff. Always helpful.