DANG! No Blocks of regular Ice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballenxj

Reaction score
Went to the store I usually get block ice from, and it seems they were out. I noticed they did have ten pound blocks of dry ice, so I bought one of those and twenty pounds of regular cube ice. Loaded the cooler with that at 11:45 AM today Aug 18.
Now I want to see how long that lasts.
Last time I checked I got the advertised 5 days in the cooler using a combination of block and cubed ice with a very small amount of ice left, so barely.
Before anybody says I need a 12v fridge, I know already, I plan on doing just that at the right opportunity, so humor me with my testing here. :p 
The ice chest is a Coleman Marine Coastal Extreme bought at Walmart. The dry ice was a dollar a pound, so $10. 
Interesting note, I checked the ice temps with my laser thermometer. Regular ice showed 26 degrees, and the dry ice checked in at 6 degrees, so quite a bit colder.
Tick Tock.

I cant wait to see the results of this testing. Hope the best for you

HDR, haven't checked yet, but I imagine it could freeze things that are close to, or in contact with the dry ice.
I have all the beverages in one side packed in regular ice, with the dry ice on the other side as a kicker in hopes that nothing will freeze.
No food will be harmed in this test, because there is no food in it. Just beverages.
slow2day, it's a 72 quart chest, so pretty big. Maybe even a bit too big?
OutdoorFT, should be interesting.

highdesertranger said:
does it freeze the contents of the cooler?  highdesertranger
Checked this morning, Aug 21, eclipse day 8:20AM. Still plenty of ice, and the temp readouts varied between 30 and 32 degrees F, depending on were I pointed the laser.
I noted the ice had sort of glazed over after the first day, entombing my beverages, and making them a bit harder to get out, as opposed to normal where ice usually gets slushy and watery. Laying bottles and cans on top seems to be the better option if you don't have a rock hammer handy. :p

Day five has come and gone. I forgot to check at 11:45, but the dry ice didn't seem to last any longer than regular blocks of ice, so, imo, not worth the added expense. It did maintain a colder temp for the duration, so that's gotta be good for something, and the remaining water and beverages are still cold as I write this.
May try it again later. :p

I remember when I was growing up, almost any place that sold ice also sold blocks of ice. Now, I hardly ever see it. Sure makes using a cooler much harder.

To get the longest life out of ice, insulate it - plastic coolers suck, probly made by the ice companies to help sell more ice ! Lol
Dry ice it must be wrapped. Block ice best when you can put it on top of the food, cubes melt first.... check Carolyn's article on coolers and ice at the BoatGalley.com. cool air sinks..you want it cold or frozen put it at the bottom. Planning helps.
I dont use much ice. I am super thrifty and dont like to buy stuff. I have lived without refridgeration for most of the past 15 plus years.
Test away but perhaps check out history and travel because people didnt have refrigeration 200 years ago and they did fine.
Getting off my 'we dont need what we think we need' soap box.

Oh and I like a cold drink, mostly with ice in my drink, i have a double wall stainless jug that i fill at gas stations for free from the fountain drink ice makers. I get permission. It has been keeping ice solid for a week this summer...of course is doesnt always last that long because im using it. But I like it. I had used a large 1 gallon bubba keg in the past but the spout leaked. I like this much better

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I just make my own block ice by freezing water in old containers. I expect that since few people don't have access to a freezer, that is why it isn't commonly sold anymore. Just a guess though

simply lesa said:
 I have lived without refridgeration for most of the past 15 plus years.

I don't have a fridge either. I have a little 9-quart cooler with extra styrofoam insulation to keep leftovers for a day or so.

But I can do that because I urban camp, mostly at Walmart--and therefore have the world's biggest kitchen freezer right next to me all the time.

I can see though why it would be a necessity for longterm food storage for people who boondock a lot.

When you're looking for block ice and don't see any in the store freezer, shift some of the bags of cubes around and check behind them (esp in the corners). Sometimes they carry it, but don't sell as much as cubes (for some reason), and stack the refill bags of cubes in front of it. Not always, but sometimes.

OTOH, some places don't carry it because it lasts longer than cubes. They want you back frequently for more ice, and you might buy other stuff while you're there. Follow the Money.

TrainChaser said:
When you're looking for block ice and don't see any in the store freezer, shift some of the bags of cubes around and check behind them (esp in the corners).  Sometimes they carry it, but don't sell as much as cubes (for some reason), and stack the refill bags of cubes in front of it. 

Yeah, I got a store employee to help look, and she said they must have forgotten the block ice. That's why I ended up getting the dry ice instead.
Never fear though, I have found another source. :D

simply lesa said:
plastic coolers suck, probly made by the ice companies to help sell more ice ! Lol

Now that was funny! :p