Astrophotography

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
That's my number one, always-there-in-the-background hobby. I might get sidetracked onto something else but I always return to astrophotography. I'm a minimalist as far as equipment goes, so it's not difficult accommodating it in my Astro.

Here's a couple of examples:

This was made from a stack of 12 images, shot at f6, 30secs, 400mm focal length. BTW this was shot out of my bedroom window. This is M31, the Andromeda galaxy:
M31.jpg

and an animated gif of the sun showing numerous sunspot groups:
sun.gif

Astrophotography requires what most of us do or want to do, namely boondocking! Getting away from everything, far out into the country, so there are no city lights playing havoc with a long time exposure, is the ideal for astrophotography. It also helps to be in the southwest, NV, AZ, NM, or TX where it's dry and clear skies, and preferably not dusty...

gsfish said:
Nice work, must be pretty dark outside your window.
Guy
Well the truth is it's not, there's another house not 10 feet away which I had to shoot over, and we're in a normal (over illuminated) suburban neighborhood. It just takes lots of processing to get rid of the orange cast from the sodium-vapor street lights, and you can still see it in the M31 image.

Sounds like you had a nice setup. Mine was chosen for portability, it's an iOptron CubePro mount plus an AstroTech 430mm F6 scope, both are the cheapest, but best performing in their class. I use an ancient Canon EOS 20Da for imaging.

Nice shot! Love those kinds of photos. I am on Slooh a lot waiting for something to happen that never seems to. Like following the asteroids mostly and a lot of near misses lately.
A SEEKER

I'd love to be able to take those shots!

I have a full frame Canon 6d and Canon 400 5.6 L lens. What would I need to do what you are doing.
Bob

Beautiful. thanks for showing. I wish I could get my skills back. I spent decades with a pocket camera and phone camera, now I work at getting familiar with my Sony NEX 3N hanging around my neck. :)

akrvbob said:
I'd love to be able to take those shots!

I have a full frame Canon 6d and Canon 400 5.6 L lens. What would I need to do what you are doing.
Bob
@akrvbob:
To be honest, anyone can, just takes deciding to do it, and a small investment in equipment.

You already have a good camera and lens. I use a similar setup, though my camera is older and 2/3 frame, and my 'lens' is a small telescope, 430mm fl f6. My camera loses some in resolution since it's 8mpx. Your lens will have a flatter field, my telescope is a 72mm ED doublet, correction is good for a 2 element lens, but not great. If you magnify the M31 image and look in the corners you'll see the stars aren't round, there's only so much you can do with 2 elements.

This is the mount I use: iOptron CubePro It's an inexpensive AltAz mount, but has good accuracy and is well made. A Vixen dovetail bar can be modified to adapt the lens/camera to the mount. You'll need a computer with the capture/stacking software Nebulosity, and processing software Gimp (free). You'll need cables to connect the mount to your van, a long, active USB cable, a long cable for the hand controller, and a long accessory cable for 12v power to the mount.

I'm able to sit in the comfort of my own van and control the telescope, take pics, process them, and if I have Internet access, post them.

@gsfish:
Many people swear by light pollution filters, but I've never noticed much improvement. Most of my images are stretched to the limit, trying to get reasonable contrast out of a vastly underexposed image, and I feel that anything that reduces the number of photons hitting the sensor is a bad idea. When boondocking it should be unnecessary anyway.

@A SEEKER:
I try and stay current re the asteroid near misses, but that's about my limit. I guess the ones we have to worry about are the ones we don't know about so it'll end up being a surprise anyway.

Zil said:
Beautiful. thanks for showing. I wish I could get my skills back. I spent decades with a pocket camera and phone camera, now I work at getting familiar with my Sony NEX 3N hanging around my neck. :)
Thanks Zil.

The Sony Nex3N is a nice little camera, I was seriously considering one, but I couldn't find any astronomy capture software that worked with it on my Mac, but it's a sweet little camera, so much more portable than what I have. My normal snap-shot camera is an old Sony DSC-R1, it probably weighs 3-4 times what the Nex3N does, but it has a Zeiss zoom lens and takes nice pictures.

I had spent a few years with a Meade 7" Maksutov/Cassegrain, using a 1970 Olympus OM 1 film camera. Had some wonderful photos. Ended up selling the whole works while in Australia.
Haven't got back into it since. I do have a five inch Meade beginners scope, with goto and the ability to put on a digital camera. But have never gotten the set up for it.

greybeard23 said:
I had spent a few years with a Meade 7" Maksutov/Cassegrain, using a 1970 Olympus OM 1 film camera. Had some wonderful photos. Ended up selling the whole works while in Australia.
Haven't got back into it since. I do have a five inch Meade beginners scope, with goto and the ability to put on a digital camera. But have never gotten the set up for it.
The Meade 7" is a nice Mak, is the 5" a Mak too? As a general rule any Mak is a nice Mak...

anm said:
The Meade 7" is a nice Mak, is the 5" a Mak too? As a general rule any Mak is a nice Mak...

I believe it is, it was given to me, carried around the last year I was out. Only used it a few times. Each time I move I have to take it out during the day and teach it my location and exercise the goto function so it will track well. I keep forgetting to do that during the day, so most of the time I don't take it out at night.
Was debating whether I want to carry it out this winter, have a few weeks to decide, takes up a bit of room, especially if I don't use it much.

Love the photo - thanks for sharing :)

I am just getting started with night photography and having a blast. My next goal is to "capture" the milky way.

GypsySilver said:
Love the photo - thanks for sharing :)

I am just getting started with night photography and having a blast. My next goal is to "capture" the milky way.
When you say 'night photography' do you only mean of stars, moon, etc? If so, may I suggest you don't leave out other sources, just city lights from some vantage point can make a wonderful photo.

example, I shot this from one of the overlooks on Transmountain Road, just outside El Paso TX:
elp.jpg

@GypsySilver:
The Milkyway can be a bit tricky, the way most photog's do it, the ones who get those bright, saturated images published, is to use an extremely fast, wide angle lens, usual is an f1.2 at 24-30 mm and shoot wide open and at about 30 seconds, that way you don't need any type of telescope mount or clock drive to prevent star trails. If you don't have a fast lens then the other option is some sort of mount that rotates with the heavens.

But even if you don't have that equipment, there's no reason not to try it, set your camera on a tripod, lens wide open, focused on infinity, as short a focal length as possible, and do a 30 second exposure. You will need a very dark site and no moon in the sky.

For those that are interested, there is an excellent Ebook available on the subject for only $5. NIGHTSCAPES by David Kingham. Available at the Craft And Vision site.

http://craftandvision.com/collections/all/products/nightscape

He has a website full of STUNNING sky photos, and more helpful information, at:

http://www.davidkingham.com/

Also, see:

http://www.diyphotography.net/take-...-level-with-this-helpful-tutorial/#more-11834

and:

http://www.diyphotography.net/useful-tip-shooting-time-lapse-night/#more-11679

Regards
John

Here's something for everyone: there's a total lunar eclipse during the early morning hours of the 8th of October. The eclipse begins at 8:27 UTC (GMT for your oldsters), and the 'full' (when the moon is completely in the Earth's shadow) phase of the eclipse begins at Oct 8 at 10:27 UTC. Totality ends almost an hour later, and the entire eclipse is over by 13:32 UTC.

Mountain time (where I am) is UTC - 6 hrs (UTC does not do daylight saving time). For EDT subtract 4, CDT -5, and PDT -7 hours respectively.

This is perfect for people boondocking, no city lights to contend with, and almost any camera will do including most phone cameras.

LeeRevell said:
Not sure about your times - is this morning or at night?
24 hour clock, the wee hours of the morning...

Oh yeah. Pitch Black in the Mojave Desert. No more severe light pollution from Los Angeles

ToyotaEscaper said:
Oh yeah. Pitch Black in the Mojave Desert. No more severe light pollution from Los Angeles
How far do you have to go for dark skies?