Share what you do for $$

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryannis

Reaction score
If you don't mind. Would love to see how others are making ends meet. Are you a part-time rv'r working the 9-5? Are you a full-timer and make $ on the way? Do you have a stash saved and living off the interest? Or any other combination/scenario.

Everyone needs some $$ occasionally. I love discovering ways to not need so much, but also would like to hear how creative others are for getting some income. :)

I was writing articles for seeking-alpha, i.e. http://seekingalpha.com/article/1156871-why-amazons-share-price-will-keep-rising I get a penny per page view. Actually I've gotten bored with it. But, I'm doing ok selling stock options. Since I've retired I've had more time to study it. It's fun and profitable.

Back in the 1980's I was out of work for awhile. I had a pickup truck. I made a sign that said "have truck", and I wore it around my neck everywhere I went. I'd go to estate sales, and people would walk up to me and say "excuse me, do you have a truck"? Then they'd ask me how much I wanted to move a couch 3 blocks away. I'd leave the house in the morning with no money and no gas and I'd come back with the tank full, money in my pocket, and stuff in my truck.

My plan with my big cargo van was to be able to empty it out quickly so it's available to haul stuff (my daughter moves every summer so I move her). Anywhere I am I can rent a storage unit and empty the van. I can haul a band to their next gig, or take a vendor to a festival.

Another option is seasonal employment at Amazon:
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/may/04/amazon-seasonal-work-homeless-jobs-unemployment

I still have my home & shop, but I'm set-up for working on the road, and do quite often.

I'm a graphics guy, and do hand pinstriping & lettering on location at motorcycle rallys. I could very easily work the national M/C rallys, and filter in a few rod-runs on weekends where need be...which is exactally what I'm pushing toward doing. Having a live-in type cargo trailer, and carry my gear in the back of my truck.

I don't need much for supplies, and can actually carry my small set-up in my tiny teardrop cargo trailer that I pull behind my bike. (which is great because not only do I get to work at the gatherings...I get to ride there too!!) :D
(my big display goes in the truck though.)

I'm also pushing more into doing fine art too, which is also something I can easily take on the road and sell to gallerys and at runsites.

I pick up odd jobs, mostly light construction type work, from ads on Craigslist or people I know. The pay varies. Right now I'm parked at a farm where I do watering plants and handyman work in exchange for parking there and a little spending money. I also am in the midst of a week-long painting job that pays me $25 per hour.
Since my expenses are only $500 per month, I don't have to work all the time. I do have some savings from all the stuff I sold when I downsized and a recent small inheritance. I try not to touch that much though. That's my emergency fund.
So far my finances are ok, as long as my health stays good. I do have a back that goes out once in awhile and I usually have to spend a week in bed each time. My arthritis ebbs and flows, generally with the weather. And I have a bum knee that needs to be babied sometimes. If things get bad enough, I'll apply for SSI and Obamacare. Not there yet.

I sponge offa the guvmint (disability) and play around with my metal detector. ..Willy.

A couple of years ago while hiking through the S.jersey pines, I found an old stash hidden by Captain Timothy Shayler. Mostly English pound sterling but an a$z load of Dutch silver coin, also. I auction it with Cristy's, slowly to avoid depressing the market, but it still is enough if I live frugally.

I've been a workamper for KOA for 3 years now but winter is very lean so I'm going to Amazon in October. I pick up extra cash by grooming pets which was my job for 30 years. I also do pet portraits and have made a few bucks that way. One Christmas I bought all my gifts by painting store windows. That seems to be a lost art now, everyone just sticks those cling on things up. It's so much nicer to paint them.

I own and operate my own online business (subscription based online entertainment). Pays enough to keep on the road, but not enough to buy a Sprinter :)

I am currently in major considerations to write a quick book, but I am not much a writer. Just a seed that was planted by a family member and I can't shake it.

In 2015 my business partner and I will be starting a new online project that will hopefully finance the next 5-10 years of vannin' and travelin'

We fulltime in a bus conversion. I work (now) 40 hours per week at Home Depot. David does not work any more due to complications with his heart meds. He does not qualify for disability. In a couple of years he will put in for SS. I figure SS will be gone before I ever qualify for it. And if it's still floundering along, the qualifications will change to where I won't qualify. We are working on getting an etsy store up and running. We will be selling handmade jewelry. I hope that it does well enough to support us so that I can avoid getting a job working for someone else and allow us to travel far more than we do now. I will not be able to quit the HD here and get another fulltime position with an HD wherever we end up.

For the last 2 years I've worked as a poker dealer at the World Series of Poker. It's 7 weeks long and last year I made $11.5k. I haven't added up my totals for this year but it was significantly less - it all depends how busy things are and how many dealers show up and finish out the season. Getting the job was not hard - I took a 5 week class and passed an audition. They need something like 1500 dealers every year so most people pass.

I'm planning on picking up more work this year - there are shorter tournaments being held all over the country all year.

They also need cashiers and chips runners which just requires basic customer service and math skills.

It's in Las Vegas in July so I do have to get an apartment or room for the AC and shower.

Another thing one can do is become a certified bar-b-que judge and go to bbq contests. Don't know how much they get paid, but they're well fed!

Social security, pension, and I do a little day trading. When we get back to Florida, I will go back to work. Don't necessarily need the money. Just need to work.

I teach online part-time and trade stocks part-time. I take short term consulting jobs as well. I plan to teach full-time online in about 1.5 years

I have a metal detector. Also have the world's biggest collection of bottle caps and rusty nails. Having trouble finding places out where we are to do it.

Kevin H said:
What happened to your food cart? I always thought that was kinda neat.

Side effects from heart medications. David is simply unable to work. It takes hours to stop the bleeding. Every few days, it's like the medications do an overload and he drags down to where he simply can't even get up.

Latest posts