RTR2020 Camp for Differently Abled

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I run the differently abled group at rvillage.com. this post is a holding place signifying my intention to create a camping area near RTR 2020 for those of us with limited abilities. We also have some volunteers willing to transport people with mobility issues to the RTR and wrtr each day. We may need more volunteers and everybody is welcome to join our camp. All we ask is that the able-bodied Among Us be willing to help our members if needed.

Several of us are going out early to capture as large an area as possible and the exact location will be posted here prior to the RTR and W RTR.

Anyone interested in helping please contact me here or at rvillage.com

I'd be glad to. If you'd like to Camp with us please join differently abled at rvillage.com and introduce yourself. We'd love to have you.

Welcome to forums Guardian Eagle!  

Tony and I have attended RTR gatherings for many years. This one will definitely have some different challenges but I think it can all be overcome with a little creativity. I will most likely be manning the HOWA table so we will not be camping with the group but please stop by and say hi.

I wrote a post on my blog about getting around at the RTR and Quartzsite which may be helpful to some of the people in your camping group.   https://rollinginarv-wheelchairtrav...9/01/rtr-access-for-people-with-mobility.html

tonyandkaren the link in post #4 is not working for me. It says site can not be reached. I always appreciate your posts

So where will the volunteers be camping? Will you be doing "Burning Van" this year?

Some of the volunteers will camp at the fairgrounds but the area where volunteer camping is permitted is not big enough for everyone so I'm hoping we get a spot.

We're going to build the van and have it at the fairgrounds so everyone can sign and decorate it but the location of "Burning Van" may be a problem. Fires are not permitted at the fairgrounds as far as I know and we can not hold a planned event on BLM land without a permit according to BLM rules.

Sorry about derailing your thread Guardian Eagle. I'll see about getting this moved if it goes too far off.

The volunteers working at the differently-abled camp will be camping with us at the same location. Volunteers for the RTR will likely be camping in various locations. If you guys don't mind let's keep this topic on topic. If you want to volunteer at our differently-abled camp please coordinate with us. If you want to volunteer with homesonwheels Alliance Ted help at the RTR please contact them directly. This topic is about differently abled camp.

I won’t be there this year but thank you so much for this. What a wonderful community and great people.

For those of us not PC, is "differently-abled" handicapped?

Yes absolutely. I'm also not a fan of political correctness but the term differently-abled is accurate because many of our members have extraordinary abilities as well as disabilities. The bottom line is that many of our members would not be able to attend the RTR in its current format. We understand why homes on Wheels Alliance made to change however it completely left us out in the cold without warning. The community is picking up that Slack and our differently abled group is providing for our own. We welcome everyone who needs our help or is willing to help. Anyone wanting to join us for help us please get in touch with me or one of our staff members. You'd be surprised how easy it is to help a person in need. I'm sure our volunteers will find it rewarding. Come join us!

LERCA said:
I won’t be there this year but thank you so much for this. What a wonderful community and great people.

Unfortunately I get this a lot. The new format is just not tenable for most disabled people. We are doing what we can to make it possible and we have people flying in and renting RVs to attend the RTR. Without the service we are offering some of these people would not attend, but unfortunately many people have already decided not to come.

Our camp is going to be at Plamosa road and 95, exact location will be posted at RVillage in the Differently Abled group.

Our camp is now up and running plomosa Road BLM camping area. Take 95 South from Parker Arizona or north from Quartzsite and turn on plumosa Road. Go about one block and turn left going off road. Drive about one block until you can't go any further and turn left again you will see our camp my name is on the back window of my RV. We grab as much ground as we could justify using about 10 campers. If it gets crowded we will make room for you.

GPS coordinates are...

33.750849,-114.215366