Wash down Crown Royal with ice - how on road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CautionToTheWind

Reaction score
Okay, I do have a dusty Crown Royal bottle on my shelf. I enjoy a whiskey couple times a year.

I'm looking at portable ice makers that won't break the amp bank. So, besides buying bags of ice, which I'm not interested in, by the way, recommendation on a portable ice maker a viable alternative on the road?

delete8.jpg

The machine can stay plugged in for maintaining ice cubes or dump ice cubes and shut off until needed. 3 different size cube choices. 

The one I'm eyeing - example here ( 14.5 x 11.8 x 15 inches ): https://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AI-10...n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3362774011&th=1

Can't find amp info anywhere - guess on how much juice this might use???

Attachments

• delete8.jpg
    delete8.jpg
    83.3 KB
Page 3 of the users manual at the above link.

120V  1,9 to 2.6 a

That is a lot at 12v

Found a 15 year old bottle of Crown in the pantry last year. Boy was it smooth.

GotSmart said:
Page 3 of the users manual at the above link.

120V  1,9 to 2.6 a

That is a lot at 12v

Of course YOU would find it. lol -- thanks!  :rolleyes:  Eyes on the computer too long.

That does seem a wee bit high.  :-/

ZoNiE said:
Found a 15 year old bottle of Crown in the pantry last year. Boy was it smooth.

15 years? bottoms up!  :)

I had one of those years ago. I never had enough ice in the house because husband and kids wouldn't make new.  So this looked like a great idea, instant ice as needed.  Especially when we would have guests. Wrong. POS. It required constant baby sitting and the ice melted terribly fast.  Out to Goodwill.  

Even aside from the electricity usage, you'd be better off buying ice. Out even better, get yourself a dual fridge/freezer with a danfoss compressor.
Ted

Looks like a plan... I was hoping to skirt buying ice. I have had in the back of mind (depths I tell ya. ha) buying one for fridge and another dedicated to a freezer (frozen veg's/fruits, etc).

On the questions section one answerer says it pulls 300 watts, occassionally dropping down to 150.

I don't know how long it would have to be run to a couple glasses of Crown, but it will put a hefty dent in a battery.

I'd put that money in a fund for a 12v compressor fridge. Mine uses about 32 watts and can make ice. I venture I could make ice good enough for a large glass of crown in about 2 hours after filling an aluminum tray resting on the coldplate. Usually I fill a few ziplocks just to fill the freezer section with.

Is that ice maker 12v? Seems like a bit of a space hog just for ice. I would rather spend more and get small 12v fridge that you could make your own ice in and still use it to keep other things cold.

Latest posts