Ford Transit or Ram Promaster?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something to consider...this is Fiat's 3rd attempt at coming into the American market. Most older mechanics in the US are quite leery of working on Fiats, and I'm sure they've passed those feelings on to their kids and/or 'apprentices'. I've had a lot of fun in some old Fiat 124's, but I could do my own work on them. I would never recommend one to a friend unless they were well aware of what they were doing.

BTW: Fiat-Chrysler Brands has been rated last In Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey for 2015.

I would wait at least 5 years on both the new 'Transit Van' and 'Fiat/Ram Van' to see how they actually pan out here in the USA.

Just my 2 cents.

A coworker is going to look at, and possibly buy, a Promaster this weekend.  
He said he heard the transmission issues they were having had been addressed by the factory.  

Anybody hear anything about this lately?  

I sure wish Chevy would get into the factory high-top market like Ford, Dodge and MB have done.

rollcage.jpg
I have the GMC Savana cargo van. I had TCI Mobility (a wheelchair van converter with places in PA and FL) put a 24" hitop on my van. I have a bit over 6' height inside and they also install a steel roll cage. Total cost $3200. Also a nice flat roof for solar and vent fan.

Attachments

• rollcage.jpg
    rollcage.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
That top from TCI mobility looks great! That tubing really adds rigidity to the entire van. $3200 installed is also an excellent price.

BigT said:
A coworker is going to look at, and possibly buy, a Promaster this weekend.  
He said he heard the transmission issues they were having had been addressed by the factory.  
Anybody hear anything about this lately? 

There have been transmission software upgrades (flashes) available for hard shifting but no TSB or recalls related to the Promaster (gasser) transmission.  The gas powertrain is a combo of the stock 3.6L Pentastar + regeared 62TE w/additional trans cooling.  The diesel has a very cool (and probably impossible to service due to rarity) automated manual:  better MPG than auto and 2x the clutch life of a human-shifted manual.  :)  Would like one of those in a gasser...

Now there was a trans TSB for Promaster City, which is a different/smaller platform based on the Fiat Doblo if I remember correctly. Like Transit is to Transit Connect and NV2500 is to NV200.

I admit, I'm older.
I also worked for FIAT in the US when they decided to exit US sales.

Their sporty cars were FUN!! 124 Spyder, 850'Spyder..... but their other offerings were major POS that literally rusted on the journey across the Atlantic!

No, I'd NOT look at a rebranded FIAT (Dodge). They didn't build for this market and environment before and wonder if they yet do.

Fix It Again Tony cars aren't for me!

Now the Ford? I almost purchased one last year.
Ford has been making good stuff lately but for my money, go buy a good used full size Chevy Van. A tried and proven platform with a HUGE support base of dealer and after market parts.

It is really a no brainer........ says the man who bought an 03 Dodge! :)

Dave

For what its worth we looked at both the transit and the promaster.

The promaster has a couple of pluses over the Transit for us.

1. Deck hieght is 6" or so lower. Being older and getting crustier by the day this was a big plus for us. Of course that can be addressed with automatic steps or running boards but that's additional cost right off the bat.

2. The promaster has more leg room in my opinion.

Ive heard good and bad on both drive trains so that that for what its worth.

We are still looking for our van, box truck or bus. We'll just have to look until we find the right fit. The transit is out for us. The promaster at the right price and maybe the desil version may be an option for us.

Happy hunting.

The Promaster is front wheel drive, which gives you a lower deck and lower overall height.
The Transit, being rear wheel drive, makes for a better tow vehicle if you plan to pull a trailer.
Aside from that, they're so similar it's hard to go wrong either way.
I just bought a Transit and absolutely love it.  MPG nearly as good as the minivan I had previously, and a pleasure to drive.

The Transit has an excellent cockpit feel to me, like a friendly and well-made minivan.

The Promaster feels more like you are a bus driver; this doesn't bother me but it freaks some folks out.